Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When and why hire a LA Quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-why-hire-la-quilter-t194361.html)

Silver Needle 07-13-2012 03:29 PM

Other things to tell your longarm quilter. Do you like feathers, floral designs....I have one client who likes rounded designs and another who doesn't. Don't be afraid to let your LA quilter know all your likes and dislikes. I figure we are here to enhance and complement what you have done. The more information we have the better we can do this. Is there something you especially like or dislike about what you've created.

Dix 07-13-2012 04:19 PM

I love to hand quilt! But, I would never get all of them done. I do all the grand kids hand quilted when babies. Now I have greats to do. There are a few special people that I hand do for gifts. I probably do half and half! A gal in our quilt group is a LA quilter and she charges the going price, and does beautiful work! I have done many wall hangings and hand quilted them.

FroggyinTexas 07-13-2012 06:56 PM

When is when you want a professional job, which, in my opinion you ought to want for any quilt top you make. Why? Because a good LA quilter can add so much dimension to your already good work--because they are professional artists, they can suggest thread color and quilting patterns that enhance your piecing and they can add artistic elements that you might not think of. froggyintexas

Gerbie 07-13-2012 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by carrieg (Post 5357965)
Why? Because my quilting ability is limited. When? When I've saved up my pennies to afford it.

Lots of people love the piecing and creating process. It's like professional singers. Not many of them write their own songs, but they make beautiful music. And those who write songs may have a terrible voice.

Carol you nailed it. I love to design and piece a quilt, do o.k. on the quilting, but gosh do I hate to hand sew the binding, and I really haven't ever sent one out to a LA. quilter, not many around in my area, at least not closer than 200 miles away, so I usually struggle with my domestic machine. But I wish I could find someone who just loves the hand work. Many of my quilting friends like to do the binding because they know they are just about finished with the quilt, but not me. I put it off as long as I can. I love to view Charisma's work. What an artist - so sorry if I misspelled your name.

quiltingweb 07-13-2012 07:38 PM

I LOVE the quilting process. I rush through piecing so I have something to quilt. I take the quilt, I look at it, I load it on my frame and let it speak to me. I doodle, I go have a cup of coffee, I doodle some more. I finish one and can't wait to start another. Why send it to a long-arm quilter? Share the love!

I have one client who finished quilt tops for her son and daughter 20 years ago! She started quilting on her home machine and could not finish it. She brought 3 quilts to me that she had been staring at forever. I finished all three for her when she never would have done it herself. That is something I love! Bringing to completion someone's work of love, work of art.

I know I'm like the silent partner. I don't get the credit, but I really don't mind. I just love finishing something for someone. I also had a client who entrusted me with a quilt top that his grandmother had made between 1900 and 1910. Talk about pressure. He didn't want it changed, but he wanted it done. I must have agonized over that one for about a week or more. Researched. Dreamed. Prayed. He love it so much he cried when he saw it. Finally, his grandmother's work was finished. That is why I love it. Too deep? Maybe, but they really do speak to me.

chuckbere15 07-13-2012 08:46 PM

I have quilted all of my quilts until one of my UFOs was completed. It's for my brother, he bought most of the material and he thinks he's paying for the quilting. The Lady that is quilting does an amazing job.

I wanted this quilt to be an heirloom and be speacial. My brother has helped me out so many time and never asked for anything in return.

I'm working on another quilt for my partner, even though he's seen it, I want it to be speacial. And therefore, I will send that to a professional, maybe. Haven't made up my mind yet.

If the quilts are for nieces and nephews or charity, I quilt them myself.

nstitches4u 07-14-2012 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5357921)
"When" is when you don't want to do it yourself.
"Why" is because you don't want to do it yourself.
Maybe I don't understand the question? Lots of people love piecing/applique but prefer to quilt by checkbook. Others enjoy the quilting process or want to have total control of their quilt. There's plenty of room for both types.

I agree. I love piecing quilts and I will quilt small quilts, but I have a king size quilt almost ready to quilt and I won't attempt anything that big on my home machine.