Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When you buy charm packs... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-you-buy-charm-packs-t67072.html)

Favorite Fabrics 09-27-2010 10:02 AM

... do you most often just use them as is (hoping they are all cut accurately and exactly the same size)?

Or do you cut them down into a different shape/size?

cherylynne 09-27-2010 10:03 AM

I use them as 5 inch squares, but I've only bought moda.

Quilter7x 09-27-2010 10:06 AM

I've only gotten a couple of them and turned one into a table topper as is. I would like to take another one and turn it into either pinwheels or half square triangles, again for a table topper. I don't know what else to do with them! :lol:

Cindy2201 09-27-2010 10:09 AM

I actually made 8 packs of them to do pinwheel baby quilts. I also have a pattern for totes that takes the 5 inch charm packs.

sahm4605 09-27-2010 10:09 AM

I made a baby blanket out of one. those squares were the worst though. when I sprayed them with starch they went every way but sunday. it was awful had to cut them into squares the ones that I hadn't sewn yet and the ones that I had I had to make rectangles out of them.

janRN 09-27-2010 10:11 AM

I've been cutting mine up using them as pieces in my Farmers Wife Sample Quilt. It finishes in 6" blocks so I can use the charms different ways .

bjnicholson 09-27-2010 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
I made a baby blanket out of one. those squares were the worst though. when I sprayed them with starch they went every way but sunday. it was awful had to cut them into squares the ones that I hadn't sewn yet and the ones that I had I had to make rectangles out of them.

That's good to know. I got one from the LQS because the liked the pattern and colors, but can't figure out how the use them. Maybe I'll just toss them in the air and see how they fall!

amma 09-27-2010 12:56 PM

I used them as is but wouldn't have a problem using them for pinwheels, etc...

quilter1 09-27-2010 01:09 PM

I just finished a tote bagtoday using a charm pack. It was a Moda pack and was cut perfectly. The bag went together easily,

Jan in VA 09-27-2010 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I make 4 patches and half-square triangles out of them by matching them two right-sides-together.

4-patches: 1. sewn two squares right-sides-together on left and right sides with 1/4" seam (shown by the dotted line).
2. Cut apart through the center both up-and-down and side-to-side (shown by the red line).
3. You have created the first half of a 4-patch, there will be 4 from each charm pair. (You will have TWO 4-patch blocks from each pair of charm squares.)

Half-square triangles:
1. Layer 2 charms together, draw a diagonal line (shown here in red), sew 1/4" away from BOTH sides of the drawn line (shown here by dotted line).
2. Cut apart ON the drawn line (red line), and press open.
3. You will have created two half-square triangle blocks from each charm pair.

You can collect these by the dozens and sew them together as leaders and enders, or just when you want to mindlessly sew something for a brief period -- TV commercials? I save them in boxes and pull them out when I need to make a quick quilt; half the work is then already done!

Jan in VA