Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   when you buy fabric, do you expect any extra length? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-you-buy-fabric-do-you-expect-any-extra-length-t242503.html)

carolstickelmaier 03-04-2014 03:34 PM

good for your JoAnns. Around here it is either short or crooked. We refer it as the JoAnns cut and I for one always state I don't want a JoAnns cut. Most of the time any LQS will give you an extra 1" to square up and if there is only a couple inches left its free. JoAnns will give money off for the last quarter yard usually 50% and I do take advantage of that offer. Bneighbor unbelievable! That would have been the last time I ever entered her store. We are very lucky in my area for our fabric service. Even with JoAnns (except with coupons, it just depends on who is checking you out). Some honor them and some just do not know what the rules are.

ThreadHead 03-04-2014 03:50 PM

I want what I pay for. as long as they can CUT A STRAIGHT LINE and NOT SHORT ME ON ONE SIDE AND A HALF INCH LONGER ON THE OTHER. Then I want more so I can cut it right. lol

Skratchie 03-04-2014 04:04 PM

I don't expect it and I usually buy a little extra because it's so rare these days for fabric to be on the bolt straight. I don't fault the LQS owners - I fault the manufacturers. Of course, most of them can't print a straight pattern on fabric to save their lives anymore anyway ...

davis2se 03-04-2014 04:28 PM

I've found that almost all of the fabric I order from on-line shops is usually almost perfectly squared up, and normally the shops cut an extra several inches. That is just one of the reasons that I love buying from on-line shops. At LQS and big name fabric shops the cuts are almost always not square, and cut to the exact inch so that squaring them up at home results in a bit less than what I paid for.

AliKat 03-04-2014 04:30 PM

I almost always buy extra fabric just in case I make a 'bad' cut myself. I am lucky though because my favorite LQS's do cut a tad extra whenever they do the cutting.

RST 03-04-2014 04:54 PM

I agree that online shops seem to be better about straight cuts and they tend to be a bit more generous on the measures too. I have a friend who had an online shop and her comment was that it was in her best interests to have the customer happy the first time -- it cost her time and money to deal with returns and re-cutting and reshipping. It's too bad that more brick and mortar stores aren't more aware of how their stingy or poor cutting affects their bottom line -- it's short sighted, and bad business to be so penny pinching over an inch or two of fabric that they lose sales entirely.

AnnEliz 03-04-2014 04:56 PM

If I had a fabric shop, I would make sure that the first cut of the fabric is on grain by tearing the first edge. Then I would measure whatever the customer wanted and just make it a little bit more--in case. When I buy my fabric, I always add 1/4 inch and sometimes 1/2 inch if I'm not going to make the quilt right away. I don't want to take a chance and not be able to get what I need if I make a wrong cut or if by chance the pattern in wrong.

charlottequilts 03-04-2014 05:20 PM

I shop at Keepsake and their cuts are always a bit extra. I thought it maybe was so that you'd have the requested amount after washing. I've always found their customer service to be excellent, though.

hugs,
Charlotte

joyce888 03-04-2014 05:33 PM

Some companies state on their websites that they cut with an extra inch or two. Personally when a store is cutting with scissors I will sometimes insist on extra because the cuts are not straight.

lucille492003 03-04-2014 05:39 PM

I do not expect to receive more than I paid for BUT----I do expect to get what I paid for down to the inch. I hate it when they do not cut evenly, angling off to one end or another----Then you do not get what you paid for