Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When you give a quilt away. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-you-give-quilt-away-t213997.html)

sharoney 02-20-2013 11:19 AM

I make quilts for family members and close friends. A new baby always gets a quilt, and I make quilts for Christmas and birthdays too. Usually I ask the recipient what size and colors they would like, although I have surprised several with a quilt they weren't expecting. I have also traded quilts. I got 3 custom paintings in exchange for quilts, and am getting 2 chairs reupholstered in exchange for a queen size quilt. I've also given quilts as graduation and wedding gifts.

Sarint 02-22-2013 09:39 AM

I like the bartering idea. Very smart and the recipient will have more appreciation for the value of the quilt.

lakekids 02-22-2013 12:37 PM

I give away most of what I make and I do NOT ask what they would like. Igive to friends, family, and charity. I am currently working on a queen size quilt for my oldest daughter.

She actually asked for one is a certain color scheme - tiffany blue and brown. I mailed her scraps of fabric in blues and brown and asked her to send back which ones (if any) were what she had in mind.

Once I got back the appropriate scraps, I bought fabric in that color family but not necssarily in only that 'value'. So I have very pale tiffany blue all the way to a dark version. She gets no input into pattern and she is OK with that. She knows that my enjoyment comes from choosing fabrics, designing and constructing the quilt. If I don't enjoy it , it won't get finished.

Most people get no input. I recenlty made a wall hanging for my mother. She was redecorating her bedroom and mentioned that she was looking for a large picture of daisies but couldn't find one for a price she was willing to pay. So I made her one a wall hanging with white and yellow daises - 36" x 28 ". She actually put it in a frame and it is hanging on her wall.

justflyingin 02-22-2013 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Zyngawf (Post 5865957)
Do you ask if someone would like one or do you surprise people? To me it seems like great big thing to give someone and a risk to surprise someone with. How often to you give them away in either of these ways? As a new quilter I already can tell I am in danger of being over run with these because I love making them.

It can be a problem. I've found out the hard way that it is hard to promise a quilt--it is then like I have a debt to be repaid. I'm experiencing it right now since I am behind one charity quilt top that I promised to make one lady. I've got the top made, the backing ready to go and they are both on the table, ready to be spray basted...hope to do that tomorrow.

I read on this thread that someone just makes them like she likes and THEN asks her family members if anyone would like it. I'm thinking that is a really smart way to go.

Boston1954 02-22-2013 02:43 PM

Nearly all of the ones I have given away are surprises, and mostly for holidays, and birthdays. I have always had big smiles and a nice thank you either verbal or written. One that was not a surprise was for my sister who is also a quilter. She wanted a purple one, and I don't have a lot of purples in my stash. I told her if she would send me the pieces, I would send her a quilt. She loved it.

bearisgray 02-23-2013 09:46 AM

See how it goes before promising anything to anyone - - - -

Rose_P 02-24-2013 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne (Post 5866142)
I am often overcome by bouts of inappropriate generosity and I have made baby quilts for people I barely know - like the woman I met at WalMart who definitely needed something for her baby's car seat. As we chatted about her newborn I told her I make car seat quilts and would love to make one for her for free. She gave me her address and a week later I mailed her the quilt.

This is awfully sweet! I hope she was touched by your generosity and acknowledged it as well as using the quilt. Perhaps you'll see it again with the baby on it.

germanquilter 02-24-2013 07:58 AM

I have given several quilts away, always as gifts and mostly to very good friends and family members who I knew would appreciate the quilt. I learned from my mistake when I made a really nice baby quilt for a military neighbor of two years. Her husband was deployed at the time and she had been leaning on me. We ended up having an altercation several months later that basically resulted in her totally cutting all ties to me and my family. No idea whatever happened to the quilt since they moved away but I would not be surprised if it did not land in the trash :(