Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When you give your quilting for a gift (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-you-give-your-quilting-gift-t178087.html)

Dolphyngyrl 02-04-2012 12:02 PM

I would not some people have allergies to some soaps. i am allergic to most detergents so i would attach washing and drying instructions and let them handle the washing themselves.

dublb 02-04-2012 12:33 PM

I always wash & dry before I give a quilt.
1. My cats always find a way to claim anything that I am working on. They are sneaky! I rely on the dryer ta kill the dander.
2. Although I washed my fabric before I made the quilt I want ta know if anything will run.
3. I use glue for a lot of my seams instead of pins & some of it does get out of the seam allowances. I want ta wash all of the glue off.
4. I also want ta know if any seams come apart. I don't want someone else to think that they had ruined it.
When I give my quilts away I tell 'em not ta dry 'em so that they will last longer.

Skittl1321 02-04-2012 12:41 PM

I always wash.

1) To get the dog hair off.
2) To make sure it doesn't fall apart.

Juliebelle 02-04-2012 01:34 PM

I always wash to make nothing is going to fall apart and if there are any issues I can fix. I usually dry on low for about 25 minutes and then lay on bed to dry completely.

wanda lou 02-04-2012 02:16 PM

I always wash.

MdmSew'n'Sew 02-04-2012 04:37 PM

I always wash - to make sure everything is fine, no loose stitches, etc. also dry it - to make sure that the washing directions I give them are correct and won't destroy the quilt. Most of my friends are having grandchildren, so the quilts are going to get lots of use, I want to make sure they're going to stand up to it. Also I love the comfy look the quilts get when washed. And incidentally, I have two fur-bearing mousetraps who think it's their job to inspect whatever I'm working on, so there's cat hair and dander, too.

cmw0829 02-04-2012 04:49 PM

I've only had one finish but I did wash and dried in the dryer so I could mimic how I'd expect it will be laundered in the future. Plus I have two cats - one of which is long haired and a shedder and who LOVES fabric. Plus the recipients hate cats and I'd hate for them to find any cat fur.

ktmo815 02-05-2012 03:57 AM

Yes. I wash before I gift - 2 reasons: I have pets & recipients may have allergies & that wy if there are any problems, I can fix

so-sew 02-05-2012 04:04 AM

Yes, for the same quality control reasons mentioned. And I always have a little trepidation when I do....Oh, the agony of pulling out a quilt that has somehow not withstood the harshness of the washing machine. So far so good, but you never know.

oleganny 02-05-2012 06:12 AM

I always wash - quality control as many others have said. The last one I made had to have one seam blind stitched - better i found it b4 giving than the recipient found it after.