Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When you hand quilt, what are you thinking in your deep thought (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-you-hand-quilt-what-you-thinking-your-deep-thought-t130500.html)

DebbyT 06-15-2011 02:08 PM

My block of the month is now 5 months behind. It has now become a long term project. My next applique will be machine stitched. I don't have enough live time left to do the projects I have planned unless I budget the time spent on this one. I also have a GMFG I - was - planning to hand quilt. I am giving it second thoughts. -- With that said, I am quite pleased with the results. It is becoming a work of art. It also helps keep my mind off my husband's driving. (he goes to fast)

alapetitechaise 06-15-2011 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by alikat110
I am so busy concentrating on small even stitches.

I may have music or TV on in the background but I am focused on the size of my stitiches. It is so relaxing, I love it!

schwanton 06-15-2011 03:38 PM

I try to hand quilt during the day on our closed in front porch - wonderful lighting and many windows. You get lost in thought - the radio on low. And you start watching what is going on outside the windows. I get so involved hand quilting, I forget to get up and stretch. I find it very calming!

laurac 06-15-2011 05:02 PM

tv is usually on, i went from living alone to having my parents and my oldest son and his wife move in with me. so there is never any quiet.
but i find hand work soothing. i relax into the stitches and think about how much fun it will be to see the quilt finished and ready to share.

Butterfli19 06-15-2011 05:16 PM

Interesting question. I don't hand quilt but I cross stitch and when I start thinking about something I push it out of my mind. I think my need is to put my brain in neutral - let all the drama flow out and let the peace flow in. I think the consistency of the stitching allows me some control over thinking about nothing.

meinreno 06-15-2011 05:27 PM

I think about how much my hands hurt.

ScrappyAZ 06-15-2011 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Darlene loves Chocolates
where does your mind go....when you hand quilt?

I am learning the blanket stitch, and I think I may have found something to ease my mind....handwork.

I enjoy using the blanket stitch when I applique. It's easy, and I can watch TV, chat with my husband or friends and just plain relax. At work, a few of us got together during our lunch hour and worked on craft projects. Some ladies knitted, and I worked on an applique quilt wall hanging. It's fun!

AnnaF 06-15-2011 07:19 PM

IF I were ever to do handquilting..I'm sure I'd be omg how did I ever think I could do this. I do my quilting with a Gammill and I don't imagine I'll ever have the time to do a handquilted quilt but I so admire those of you that do. They are a labor of love and it shows. My hat goes off to you.

Darlene loves Chocolates 06-15-2011 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
i am usually watching TV, listening to radio.

It's funny though, sometimes when I pick up a quilt to work on it, my thoughts immediately go back to what I was watching the last time I was quilting on it.

oh my!!!!

it is much like simply putting down a book and coming back later....you are so lucky to have this gift.

katigirl 06-15-2011 11:56 PM

I get together with my sister so we have a good time visiting. She says I come over to make her quilt just so she will get something done. lol.