Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When You Just Really Don't Like Your Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-you-just-really-dont-like-your-quilt-t249166.html)

zozee 06-27-2014 08:31 PM

When You Just Really Don't Like Your Quilt

i just finished a doll quilt for charity last night. I started out liking the design. I liked the colors (blue and yellow).

But the further I went in the project, the more I squirmed. I'm new to FMQ and so that was probably the worst of it. And really, I try not to be any harder on myself than I would be on a fellow quilter with as little experience as I have.

What do you do when you get to the end of a quilt you've made and just really don't like it? I won't say hate because the quilt has ears, you know! Let's she say she is my least favorite of all the ones I've made.

I'm too embarrassed to post a picture.

francie yuhas 06-27-2014 09:43 PM

So,you now have created a WOMBAT--- waste of money,tome,and batting.....except for the fact that if you set it aside a while,it'll look better in a few weeks. Or,give it to the first person who admires it! Try not to be hard on yourself.

MacThayer 06-27-2014 09:47 PM

If you just hate it, but it's still technically a good quilt, then give it to charity and be done with it. However, if you hate it because you just can't stand the bad work on the quilt (and I've more than a few of those), either find another use for it, or pitch it. I used a couple of my mistakes to cut up and stuff a dog bed. Another one was used to wrap a quilt for storage. My husband has one on the floor of the garage, and there's one in the trunk of the car to wrap around frozen groceries. If you can't find a use for it, think about using it for batting for a different quilt, or a pad, or something like that. Think outside the box. We all have mistakes we'd like to burn!

sewbizgirl 06-27-2014 09:56 PM

If it's your fmq that is bothering you, pick it out and do some other quilting that you like... perhaps straight line quilting. Make the quilt better. Make yourself feel better about it.

sewbeadit 06-28-2014 01:29 AM

I have found that there is someone for everything. You may think it is ugly and the next person will say it is the most beautiful thing they have seen. Donate it to your charity and go on to the next one.

GingerK 06-28-2014 02:05 AM

You already have some excellent solutions posted. I prefer to let things 'lie' for a while and then revisit them. Maybe you are just tired of looking at it. I know that is the problem with the one I am working on now. I need to get it finished asap but it has been in the works for too long and I am beginning to second guess myself.

carolaug 06-28-2014 02:08 AM

Sounds like a Kittie or puppy quilt...; ) My cats love all my quilts and even they have their favorites.

Joset 06-28-2014 04:03 AM

i had a quilt i was making and i just didn't like the colors (it was a kit) i had put it away and my niece
seen it and she said auntie jo those colors would match my family room. so i finished it and gave it to her
she loves it.

Lori S 06-28-2014 04:11 AM

I think we have all had our quilting regrets... Don't let it consume your quilting spirit Let it find a new home.

Barb in Louisiana 06-28-2014 04:16 AM

I totally know how you feel. About half way through a project, I don't like anything about the quilt. That leads to a lot of UFO's. (Over 30 and growing) I do find, just like most of the others, that even if you don't like it, if you just leave it laying around, someone will come in and just fall in love with it and the project will find it's own home.

FYI...I used to sew garments for myself. I had the same reaction half way through those. I didn't like them, knew they were going to turn out bad and just didn't want to finish them. I stuck in there, finished the garment and when that last hem was done....Wallah!!!! I liked them again.

At the very least, keep detailed pictures of the quilt with a date that you did it, so that you can come back later and see how you have progressed. Another thing, I have found that I like the finished project a whole lot more after I get it washed. The slightly puckered, wrinkled fabric adds a charm all it's own.