Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When you reach for "light neutral" batiks... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-you-reach-%22light-neutral%22-batiks-t102807.html)

shelrox 02-24-2011 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian
Definitely watercolors for me. I agree the eye needs a place to rest

Ditto

seamstome 02-24-2011 08:51 PM

I am LOOKING and LOOKING for those light batiks. Sat on the computer for hours the other night after running from LQS to LQS. I need 15-25 different lights. Could only find 16. Exactly what you have posted. The watercolors wash out too much. As soon as I get my camera to hook up to the computer I will show you what I am making.

sueisallaboutquilts 02-24-2011 09:12 PM

Nan, I really like the last one. I'm also in favor of the watercolor look.

Favorite Fabrics 02-24-2011 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
This is also the HARDEST to purchase online, as those subtle shades read differnent, depending on the monitor. It is sometimes hard to distingush a grayish beige , from a warm beige, to a yellowy beige.

You're right about it being hard to get a feel for the color.

Would it be helpful if the item description said, in words, whether it had areas of beige or yellow or icy blue or gray or peach, to help the viewer decide whether the color overall was leaning the right way for their projects?

CompulsiveQuilter 02-25-2011 04:16 AM

Perfect thread for a dilemma I've in now! I want a warm-neutral 1895 batik ---- which one should I look at?

ghostrider 02-25-2011 05:36 AM

I go for small, overall prints, not the watercolor solids very much at all...though the watercolor dots are good. I want texture and because I work in small scale, the watercolors just don't deliver it. I like several of the Hoffman texture line, Kaufman's elemental line, anything with a tight geometric, botanic, or organic monotone pattern, but then, I don't make traditional quilts much anymore so I'm probably not the target you're looking for. Light neutral batiks are not easy to find around here, so I would eagerly grab a bolt of that Kaufman elemental you have pictured in #3. ;)

CarrieAnne 02-25-2011 05:42 AM

I think the second one is my favorite. I kind of like the subtle prints the best.

Favorite Fabrics 02-25-2011 05:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
What about these ones? They're "future" fabrics that won't hit the market until July...

TootieAnn 02-25-2011 05:46 AM

I like the watercolors. And I LOVE Batiks!

Lori S 02-25-2011 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics

Originally Posted by Lori S
This is also the HARDEST to purchase online, as those subtle shades read differnent, depending on the monitor. It is sometimes hard to distingush a grayish beige , from a warm beige, to a yellowy beige.

You're right about it being hard to get a feel for the color.

Would it be helpful if the item description said, in words, whether it had areas of beige or yellow or icy blue or gray or peach, to help the viewer decide whether the color overall was leaning the right way for their projects?

It would be very very helpful.