Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When you see your quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-you-see-your-quilt-t197838.html)

Skyangel 08-17-2012 07:01 PM

I made a quilt for each of my three (step) grandchildren when they were born. I made them to match my step-daughters nursery theme and colors, and bought high quality fabric and paid for LA quilting to complement. I've never seen them again. That hurts my feelings but I won't ever say anything.

My sister hinted that she would like a king-sized quilt made into a duvet cover to cover up her store bought comforter SO THE DOGS COULD GET ON THE BED AND NOT DAMAGE HER COMFORTER. Fat chance I would ever make one for her.

I try to let go when I give one of my quilts as a gift but when I put so much of myself into it's kind of watching your child going out into the world and wanting them to be loved. It is easier to donate a charity quilt knowing you'll never see it again.

burchquilts 08-17-2012 07:03 PM

Like several of the other posts here, once I give a quilt away, what happens to it is out of my control so I put it out of my mind. If I were to find out that one wasn't being treated the way I'd like, I might not be so anxious to make that person another one, but thus far, I haven't had that problem.

Tothill 08-17-2012 08:50 PM

A couple thoughts.

I never give a handmade gift, if I am not sure of how it will be received. Or have invested so much time and energy into it that I would be disappointed.

I regift things that I have been given that do not suit my lifestyle to someone who would better enjoy it.

My grandmother made beautiful crochet bed spreads for my brother and I when we were young. I never even knew they existed until after she had died. Now 30 years later it is on my bed in the winter. It is too heavy for warm weather use.

My step mother had a house fire when her youngest child was 2. They lost everything except their lives and the dog. She had been saving china linens etc for special occasions or to use when the children were older. All her beautiful things were lost in the fire. When they rebuilt, she decided that if she wanted to eat breakfast off chine she would. She would let the children drink out of the crystal glasses etc.

So I try to follow her example. I use the beautiful and or special things, but if they do not suit our lifestyle I let them go to someone who will appreciate them. If a gift was for our children it would be used, but if I was given a pink gift, I would regift it to someone who would appreciate the colour.

My MIL tried to give us her dining room suite. I refused, because I knew it would still be 'hers' and she could not fully let it go and accept the way we would use it. So my BIL got it and every time she is in his house she checks it for scratches, comments if she does not feel it is properly polished etc.

jemma 08-18-2012 01:46 AM

a gift is a gift --let it go with love ---- or do not bother making it

Sandygirl 08-18-2012 02:30 AM

Too many things are "saved"...never to be used. "heirloom" is so overrated. We live today. I agree with the posters who believe that once you give a gift, the recipient is free to use the gift (or not) in whatever manner they choose.

Sandygirl 08-18-2012 02:39 AM

After reading these posts, perhaps put a price tag on the quilts you plan to "give away". IF the person who requests a quilt from you, show them your offerings and sell the quilt to them. No hard feelings and they will be invested in your wowrk, that way if you get your $$'s worth out of the quilt. ok, Im kidding..kind of. no, I don't make quilts for anyone. I make small purses and gifty things once in a while. Then I am not worried about what happens to the item. I did not put a lot of time or $$ in the item..sandy

newestnana 08-18-2012 02:46 AM

I actually use the backing side up about half the time on the quilt I made for my own bed. I like seeing the quilting, which shows better from the back (and to be honest, it's more restful to the eyes than the pieced side).

newestnana 08-18-2012 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Skyangel (Post 5448059)

My sister hinted that she would like a king-sized quilt made into a duvet cover to cover up her store bought comforter SO THE DOGS COULD GET ON THE BED AND NOT DAMAGE HER COMFORTER. Fat chance I would ever make one for her.

Omg! She's off my gift list too!

sandy l 08-18-2012 03:00 AM

That's why I happily make "charity quilts". I never know who, where, or why what happens to them:)

117becca 08-18-2012 03:12 AM

I don't make quilts for people unless they have a say in the process. There is way too much money and time involved in it for someone to not like it. I also emphasize the importance to be honest w/ me because the point is for them to enjoy it and no one likes to be disappointed at the end.

I don't think that I would ever make something where the receiver would not be in on the process so that changes can be made when they are smaller/easier than being disappointed w/ the end project.