Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-your-married-engineer-there-no-such-thing-%22simple-request%22-make-big-board-ironing-board-t123633.html)

DogHouseMom 05-16-2011 06:49 PM

I'm determined to get a big board type ironing board (homemade). I read the tutes & testimonials, and I even bought a new cover that will be perfect for a big board.

So I tell the husband "please cut a piece of 1/2" ply 18 x 48". Simple. Precise. Concise.

Naturally he wants to know why. So I tell him. I explain what and how I want to iron, and I show him what happens on my current (regular) ironing board.

He has found several things wrong (in his mind) with the concept and has spent the last two weeks over-engineering (in his head) my SIMPLE and CHEAP ironing board.

It will be too heavy.
It will be too wobbly.
It will soak up steam and starch and the ply will separate.

It seems like every time I have an idea to make something, he steps in and over-engineers the heck out of it and tells me I need something completely different than my original specs. You should have seen the whelping box he made, my bitch hated it and the puppies didn't like it much either.

So he looked at ironing boards online, you know the cute little ones that fold up into the wall (which are fantastic if I was only ironing shirts!) and told me "this is what you need". NO IT'S NOT!! Why can't he listen to me when I tell him what I NEED. I want to iron 44" of fabric across the board ... pretty simple concept isn't it?

Then there was the brilliant idea of ... 1/4" aluminum. We have tons of that stuff in stock (it's used for the beds on our machines). Thankfully the widest he can get it is 12". Whew!! Caught a break there!!

At the moment in his head I "need" a 1" thick (!!) piece of solid Birch (!!!), my dimensions (how'd I swing that?), marine varnished (indeed!!), and I need new legs that have a wider spread for stability.

Oh save me.

Being married to an engineer is trying sometimes.

Goldie 05-16-2011 06:51 PM

My father was an engineer...I have spent a lifetime getting past that. (Loved him in spite of it all.)

LeslieFrost 05-16-2011 06:51 PM

Oh dear. Yes, I can see that it can be trying. Over thinking is a common affliction among the overeducated.

But, it makes a funny story! Hope you get your big board one of these days!

ontheriver 05-16-2011 06:53 PM

Have the same thing with my youngest son, only he still in engineering school, one year to go, so I tell him when he gets his degree he can change my ideas to make them "better." LOL

Elisabethann 05-16-2011 06:53 PM

I'm sorry. My dad does this too, although he is not an engineer. Maybe you can go to home depot and have them cut you a piece to size? Itsjust getting it in the house - it's kind of heavy.

AUQuilter 05-16-2011 06:53 PM

I will second that! Sometimes I just do things myself so I can avoid the 24-48 hours of angst. Stick with your request though-

cbridges22 05-16-2011 06:54 PM

I so get it!My husband was a master carpenter before getting into the medical field.We have remolded our kitchen and added a dinning room.Every time I suggested something it became a major issue!I so get it!

suebee 05-16-2011 06:56 PM

Well let me tell you...I know (all too well) how engineers think and you are SO RIGHT ON!! I worked with all engineers for 2 years and they were the longest 2 years of my life. I swear, I heard (prior to taking that job) that engineers are in a league of their own. Boy was that an understatement. Seriously I just wanted to let you know I completely feel your pain!!!! Hang in there.

Jammin' Jane 05-16-2011 07:01 PM

Yup! I live with one too! They analyze everything over and over...drives me nuts! Maybe is would be easier just go buy one!

malindaann 05-16-2011 07:02 PM

OMG -- I had to laugh on that one too. My dad was an engineer, the 1st husband too. By the time the research and "testing" was complete, I had lost interest -- hey maybe that is the reason for so many unfinished projects :)