Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Where can I find "I Spy" material? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/where-can-i-find-%22i-spy%22-material-t33037.html)

cande 01-03-2010 10:26 AM

There's only one LQS near me and they don't have any. The nearest JoAnn's is almost 100 miles away and we don't get there very often and I don't know if they carry it... I thought to make an I Spy lap robe for my Mom; she has the beginning of Alzheimers and I thought something like that might help keep her mind sharper. I've got about a dozen 4" squares that I found in among my small stash but that won't make much of a lap robe, will it?! lol

soniboo 01-03-2010 10:42 AM

cande, if you pm me with your mailing address I'll be glad to send you some fabric you can use. It's great that you're making this for your mom.

watterstide 01-03-2010 10:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Me too,PM me
..you can find I-spy squares on ebay..pretty cheap, just watch the shipping costs

also here:
http://www.craftconn.com/Main.asp?Ta...productID=5425

relook at the fabrics you have at home..things like flowers,grass,bird houses..stars etc..you could even throw in a few solids..as whats that "color"

The best way to get them is a swap..

4 inches is pretty small IMHO for I-spy, you want to be able to get the main pattern centered..
mine are at least 6 inches..
i have some i can send you though..you'll have to cut them down from 6 or 8 inches.
i just finished one for a Christmas Gift.

I Spy for Lila
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62474[/ATTACH]

amma 01-03-2010 11:00 AM

When searching on the net...use the terms novelty, and I Spy :wink:

cande 01-03-2010 11:41 AM

Thank you, watterstide and soniboo. You have PMs. That is a really pretty quilt, wish the squares I have are bigger because 6" would be nicer but guess I'll have to go with what I have. I'll check on E-bay and also the link and see waht I can find.

redquilter 01-03-2010 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by cande
Thank you, watterstide and soniboo. You have PMs. That is a really pretty quilt, wish the squares I have are bigger because 6" would be nicer but guess I'll have to go with what I have. I'll check on E-bay and also the link and see waht I can find.

My brain isn't functioning well today - have a mean sinus headache and didn't sleep much at all last night -so my math is probably off, but you could join 4 of your 4" squares into a large block (so that would be 7 x 7, right?) and then make another block using a single fabric that measures 7" square completed. Make any sense?

PM your address. I have lots of I Spy fabrics to share.

cande 01-03-2010 12:29 PM

Thank you, redquilter. I was just going to sew the squares together in rows but you've given me another idea.

You have a PM

mamapeggy11 01-03-2010 01:06 PM

I just saw a bunch on ebay. I was looking at something else and one thing lead to another and I ended up on ebay. I wish I hadn't ended up there - I saw so many candy prints I don't have. I plan to make a jar quilt and have some prints but I did not realize there were so many new ones. Some time soon (I hope) I will be able to go get my things from my sisters - as of now I am living with one of my sons - helping them out by taking care of my granddaughter(and job hunting now) - I only brought a few patches I had started on -wasn't planning to stay. When I do get my things I hope to do some trading on here. I will check with you too to see if I have anything you'd like.

MadQuilter 01-03-2010 01:24 PM

You could also border the I SPY squares and adjust the width of the border depending on the size of the square. What types of things are you looking for? Most of my I SPY squares are 5" (from the swap) and they are kid-stuff, but there are some with butterflies and cupcakes and such that I could send you.

Send pm with addy.

grammy 01-03-2010 07:24 PM

I saw an attic window type quilt with I Spy squares in the middle that looked really cute. Can't remember where though. You could probably google attic window if you are interested.