Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Where do you keep your ironed fabric while you are cutting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/where-do-you-keep-your-ironed-fabric-while-you-cutting-t243397.html)

IrishgalfromNJ 03-17-2014 12:01 PM

Where do you keep your ironed fabric while you are cutting?

I need help. I don't know where to keep my ironed fabric while I cut. For my latest project I had nine one yard pieces of fabric that I was cutting from and I kept them drapped over my ironing board while I was cutting my pieces but I'm wondering if there is a better solution. I'm curious about how/where everyone keeps their ironed fabric while they are cutting.

Do you iron all your fabric then cut (this is what I do)?

Do you just iron what you need as you are cutting?

Is there a better way?

dunster 03-17-2014 12:35 PM

I starch and iron one piece, cut what I need from it, and then go on to the next piece.

ube quilting 03-17-2014 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6631597)
I starch and iron one piece, cut what I need from it, and then go on to the next piece.

DITTO: I would iron the 1 yard piece W/ sizing/starch on the back of fabric. Then do my cutting from that piece and put it aside to go back in the stash at the end of the project. I don't put fabrics back in my stash right away be cause I might want or need to cut a new piece if I wreck one.:D . I keep the whole project in a small wash basket with a copy of the pattern so I can't misuse the fabric for a different project.

peace

ManiacQuilter2 03-17-2014 01:03 PM

That is what I NORMALLY do too !!!

Dingle 03-17-2014 01:06 PM

I iron all my fabric at once then cut. I bought 2 4' tables. One I use to lay out all the ironed fabric and the other one is used for all the cut pieces.

PaperPrincess 03-17-2014 01:39 PM

I got an extra tall quilt rack at the Salvation army for under $5. I iron a piece then lay it on the frame. I like to iron everything then cut everything.

Jeanne S 03-17-2014 01:50 PM

I lay them out on the dining room table if I think I will get to the cutting soon. If not I fold lengths of ironed fabric in half length-wise over a wooden hangar and hang it in a spare closet.

Lori S 03-17-2014 03:22 PM

I do he same!

franc36 03-17-2014 03:46 PM

I starch my fabric, iron it, and lay it on one end of my large cutting table. Then, I cut the fabric in the order listed on the pattern. As I cut, I label and store cut pieces in plastic zip lock bags. Since I will quickly sew the pieces, they are in the plastic bags for a week or less.

krafty14 03-17-2014 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S (Post 6631718)
I lay them out on the dining room table if I think I will get to the cutting soon. If not I fold lengths of ironed fabric in half length-wise over a wooden hangar and hang it in a spare closet.

Only I hang them over the back of each dining room chair. Guess my dining room is an annex for my sewing room! :oP