Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Where do you put your UFOs? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/where-do-you-put-your-ufos-t187451.html)

susie-susie-susie 04-28-2012 01:13 PM

I keep the tops that need backing and batting on skirt hangers in the closet. The others are in those 12 x 12 plastic totes. Yes, I said the others, I have about 8 hanging in the closet and another 12 in the totes. This is my project for the summer--finish my UFO's. I don't think I will get them all done, but I'm hoping to make a big dent in them. Wish me luck. So far I have finished one--lol--good start, huh.
Sue

maryfrang 04-28-2012 02:19 PM

Clear plastic shoe boxes on a shelf in my sewing room. That way I see what is in the box and they are all together material, pattern and thread and other notions that I need.

nhweaver 04-28-2012 02:52 PM

Love the pizza box storage idea, but for me the ufo's are in a jelly cupboard in the guest bedroom. It is full, and that means I have to stop stashing. I put all the fabric for a project in zip bags up to opaque garbage bags (over buying). Mark on the outside the quilt pattern, what I have, what I need. I have to start putting dates on them. Found a put together ready for baby quilt that I wanted to do 10 years ago, duh!!! That was before I did the bag storage, it was in a hope chest under lots of stuff. I have to stop stuffing -.

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5177067)
instead of cutting out a whole quilt you do not want to work on why not just put the fabric for it along with the pattern together in a large ziplock or box - label it & put in on a shelf until you do want to make it?
my ufo's tend to be pieced blocks not made into a top yet- or a top not yet quilted & bound- the first---blocks are in a pizza box or ziplock- the tops are under the quilting machine waiting for me to get to them.
i never cut a whole quilt out at once-unless i am going to work on it to completion...if i want to make it someday i may put the fabric & pattern together so i don't use the fabrics for something else- then later i can pull it out---look at it & decide if i really want to make that quilt or if i want to use the fabrics for something else- if they were all cut out i would be 'stuck'

ube quilting 04-28-2012 02:59 PM

The very first thing I do when I start a quilt is get out a small size wash basket that I have tons of. Got them at Target, 2 for $5. I make a copy of the pattern and put it in the bottom. Add the material on top. I never cut a hole quilt at one time, just a little as I go. If I interupt a quilt in the works I just put everything into the basket so it is all together. They stack up easily and I always know where to find my UFOs. I do not like to hide them away. "Out of sight, out of mind."
peace

RkayD 04-28-2012 03:29 PM

I was at Lowe's this past weekend and found some 10 gallon ziplock bags. Talk about awesome UFO storage options! I did punch a few holes in them so that there is air flow.

lucylockett 04-29-2012 11:26 AM

UFO Rotation System
(of my dreams)

UFOs are stored in plastic containers. Every UFO project is labeled and I choose 3 projects I’d like to complete. I work on one project for 8 hours stitching time, then move on to the next project. When I have completed 8 hours on each of the 3 ongoing projects, I’m feeling much better about my UFOs!. Then I go back to the top project and start over. When these 3 projects are finally completed, I quickly select 3 more UFOs and repeat the process. (I figure it will take me a year or so!)

During some rotations, I may not finish a single project, but the on the next rotation, I may finish two! When I’ve finished 8 hours on a UFO, I can put it away with a clear conscience; I’ve put an honest effort into ridding myself of the guilt for buying fabric, etc. for a project and tossing it to the side.

Here’s a simple chart with a series of X-marks to show how many hours I have done. Each X represents 8 hours of stitching time. My chart looks something like this:
1. Elvis Throw XXXXX
2. Batik Quilt XXXX
3. Linus Project XX

If I have a project with a deadline, I’ll work it into my rotation by working for 8 hours on number one, then 8 hours on my urgent project. Then I’ll move on back and work on my second UFO line up for 8 hours before returning to my urgent project etc., and so one. The urgent one will work up quickly, and the rotation will continue moving along.

Now if I could just implement this idea, it would be a dream come true!!!

IAmCatOwned 04-29-2012 11:48 AM

I finally got organized a few years ago. All my UFOs are in 2 gallon ziplocks with all the materials and a copy of the pattern. Most of my UFOs are patterns from books and they would get all bent up, so just a copy of pattern goes in now. I 'file' them in beer boxes (free from liquor store) and the boxes are in a bookshelf (there are 3). Each box holds 8-12 projects depending on the amount of extra fabric I have for it.

Not having all the 'parts' together was the primary reason why many of my UFOs never were completed. I've gone from 80 UFOs (not including PIGS), to about 75 UFOs (including PIGS) since 2004. Any time that you are going to put a project away, save yourself effort and write on a piece of paper where you are. I must spend 2 hours trying to figure out my next step.

I have all the tops that are complete but not quilted in a Rubbermaid container. I started doing this in order to also contain the matching binding and sometimes the backing until I get to it.

As far as completing UFOs, I found the Stashbuster's system of working on only 4 projects to be the best. I have 2 UFOS, one in-progress and one new one going at all times. If I don't have a new project, I just pick up another UFO and make some progress on it.

I like the idea of using rotation method, but it works way better for my cross-stitching than my quilting. Once I start quilting a quilt, I want to just keep quilting on it, so pick up on handwork or other hobby stuff since I can only sit at the sewing machine a few hours a day.

khurtdvm 04-29-2012 01:34 PM

Mine are all in clear plastic totes. Theoretically, they're easy to access when I decide to finish them.

Lynnie25 04-29-2012 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by icon17 (Post 5176990)
Hi, jcrow
Outer space? LOL sorry just couldn't stop my self!! Why don't you buy the large 2pound size zip lock bags or if you need larger they do have them too put them in those, label them as to whats in each one, get a clear tub to store All of them under a bed!

This is what I do with mine but make sure you put a copy of the pattern and all the fabric for backing, binding etc in the bag. I have been stuck later when finishing a UFO by not having any fabric suitable for binding. I have 2 huge tubs under the bed with quilt tops and UFOs

Karenowc 04-29-2012 04:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I put mine in a plastic container with all the fabric and pattern, and any notions that would go with it.
Then I put a label on it and put away in a cabinet.