Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Where do you sandwich "big" quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/where-do-you-sandwich-%22big%22-quilts-t56178.html)

Linda B 07-26-2010 01:08 PM

I just checked on Walmart.com and they have several cernter fold tables that might work for those who are concerned about the weight of Ken's MDF idea. They had 4' up to 6' tables, 30" wide, 29" high from $34 up. Now that I'm not sending out to a longarm quilter anymore, I think I'll need to invest in something like this to set up in the middle of the living room to sandwich.

mbogenpohl 07-26-2010 01:14 PM

I seem this method used on a quilting show a few weeks ago and I have used this method ever since and I does work very well. First if you have a wall large enough protect your wall space with newspaper or flannel back tablecloth, then pin or tape your backing up first smoothing it out as you go then take some 505 basting spray and spray backing fabric with a good coverage amount then place your batting on top of yor backing fabric smoothing it out as you go and after you've done that spray somemore 505 on th top of the batting then apply your quilt top oothing it out as you go! Now your ready to take it to your machine and quilt it. The 505 spy doesn't gum up your needle and this system works awesome.!

Quilting Nonnie 07-26-2010 01:39 PM

One thing I can add...I'm tall-ish, about 5'10", and any method I use that involves bending over a table gives me bad back pain. I bought some bed risers from Joanne's, 4 for $10, and put the table legs on top of the risers. It raised the table about 5 or 6 inches and was a perfect height for me! No more back pain!

Right now with back to school sales going on, you can find the bed risers pretty easily.

ka9sdn 07-26-2010 01:41 PM

I go to a location that has several 6 ft. tables I can use, like my church, put two or three side by side, tape down my backing (good sidedown), spray advesive a little, add batting, spray a little more, then put my quilt top on and then safety pin baste the whole thing. This is also a good time to roll myquilt so it is ready to put onto my machine.

MsSewer 07-26-2010 02:56 PM

I use my kitchen table and a folding table I have for cook-outs. I have to boost the folding table with books so it's the same height as my quilting table. I damaged one knee so I couldn't use the floor

kathome 07-26-2010 03:05 PM

First I "T" pin the backing to the living room carpeted floor. The place the batting, then the top, carefully smoothing as best I can. Then I shoot it all over with a Micro stitch gun. (can be purchased on line at lots of different places) The little plastic thingies aren't long enough to catch into the carpet but sometimes don't catch all the way either but that little tool is a lifesaver. I can probably "micro stitch plastic thingy" 20 times faster than pinning. AND no broken machine needles either!!!

littlehud 07-26-2010 03:31 PM

I used to do them on my living room floor. Oh my aching back. I now have a frame so I don't have to sandwich them.

Rusty's Mama 07-26-2010 03:38 PM

We have a pool table with pieces of plywood on top (seldom use it for pool anymore!) and this works well for sandwiching quilt tops. Also, its a good height and not terribly wide so I can reach to the middle from either side. I use it for cutting too!

Redhead 07-26-2010 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
Please don't laugh I tack them on my hallway wall.

I thought that I was the only one who used my hallway wall. It just goes to show, we quilters have to come up with clever solutions!

quiltin mimi 07-26-2010 03:54 PM

I usually do mine on my livingroom floor. I put the backing down (wrong side up) and use masking tape to keep it s