Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Where do you spray baste? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/where-do-you-spray-baste-t231751.html)

AuntieD 10-05-2013 10:02 AM

Never thought of using a ping pong table. Great idea!!

MadQuilter 10-05-2013 10:06 AM

I throw an old sheet on my bed and spray-baste right there. I use either 505 or Sullivan's. I don't even smell the 505 - but I still keep the slider open for ventilation.

Kwiltr 10-05-2013 11:07 AM

If it's a small piece I just throw an old sheet on the floor or table and spray it indoors or out if it's a nice day. A larger piece I will hang on my clothes line to spray and then bring it inside. It doesn't need to be horizontal to spray and the clothesline keeps it up off the surface of anything, keeping it clean.

MJ4Ever 10-05-2013 11:24 AM

I'm glad you said that about the ping pong table. My step father has a huge folding metal table he never uses. That would be perfect for this.

pollyjvan9 10-05-2013 01:14 PM

I spray baste standing up. I use 4'x8' sheets of rigid insulation for a design board. It is not covered with anything (I just keeping using straight pins) so I pin the backing on, smooth and then spray, then I put more pin all the way around the quilt, about a foot apart, then I pin the batting on and smooth down (I sometimes spray a few spurts of spray baste on the batting before I smooth it down. Last I pin the top just across the top. Spray the batting and the top, smooth down, then I use safety pins about every foot all around the quilt. This keeps me from having to crawl on the floor, which I can't do anymore, and also saves my back. You may want to give it a try. Also if I have more than one quilt I wait for a still day and then move my design wall outside and spray there. I have basted up to 8 quilts in one day using this method.

Dyan 10-05-2013 06:15 PM

I have never spray basted, but I do have a ping pong table I keep just for laying out quilts on. It was my son's he wanted to sell it, I told him no way, It has gone from the garage to the basement a few times, but back in the basement and is staying there...

teacherbailey 10-06-2013 03:15 AM

I spray baste everything....I have used the living room floor but the overspray doesn't come off the laminate hardwood floor very well, I have used tables for small projects...etc....but my favorite place for bed quilts is on a big blue tarp on the driveway BUT on a non-windy day! Then the overspray washes off the tarp pretty well with the hose' just leave it in place to dry when you're done or spread it over a car to drip, etc.

Tfch8184 10-06-2013 03:21 AM

My laundry room. We have a huge room with a painted cement floor so I just sweep to make sure there's no dust bunnies and then tape my backing down. The first time was major trial and error lol.

I learned taping corners is not enough gotta go down the sides as well and that basting spray does not come off your feet easily lol. But I would rather have sticky feet than pin a quilt down again.

DebbieG 10-06-2013 03:35 AM

I DON'T USE THE SPRAY BASTE...I have used it twice and had more mess than what it was worth!!!

Kehoeta 10-06-2013 03:45 AM

I use the Sharon Schamber method to manage my quilts while I am basting. It works really well with the spray baste because I find that I can use the spray on the exposed portion of the quilt - both top and bottom, and then move everything forward - continue spraying and basting in sections. I can do it all on my kitchen table without having to tape and use the floor.