Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Where Do You Start When Buying From Superior Threads? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/where-do-you-start-when-buying-superior-threads-t219482.html)

EllieGirl 04-18-2013 05:25 PM

Where Do You Start When Buying From Superior Threads?

I've made the decision to not but Coats & Clark anymore because the thread kept breaking. I know a lot of people on here buy from Superior Threads. But when I looked at the website it seemed like there was so much! Where do I strart? I just want basic colors to have available.

Nammie to 7 04-18-2013 05:47 PM

Are you looking at piecing or quilting? Read as much as you can on that web site - maybe that will help you decide what you want to get. I belonged to their "University" for a while - they sent projects and appropriate thread to use.

EllieGirl 04-18-2013 06:05 PM

This would be both piecing and quilting.

Treasureit 04-18-2013 06:10 PM

I bought a 4 pack set of Master Piece #50 in neutrals. It is for piecing or quilting and it works great.

dray965 04-18-2013 07:29 PM

I'm new to their site, but in a book I read on FMQ quilting, the author said she used Bottom Line and So Fine...so i ordered that. I haven't used it yet, though. Actually I'm trying out different products as I am quilting. I've been experimenting with all kinds of batting to see which one I like the best.

grammy Dwynn 04-18-2013 07:50 PM

I use Master Piece, for piecing and quilting (FMQ on home machine). Love it

kim_s 04-18-2013 10:19 PM

I have used masterpiece for piecing and for quilting but the last 2 times I quilted I used So Fine (in top and bobbin) and I had never had such success with quilting. The stitches just turned out beautiful. I used it with Warm and Natural. So that thread will for sure be my "go to" thread for quilting. I quilt on my sewing machine not a long arm.

ScubaK 04-18-2013 11:01 PM

Thanks Kim. I'll be ordering some of that to try.
Kirsten

k_jupiter 04-19-2013 12:29 AM

Piecing is easy. Get good quality (non fuzzing cotton) neutral color thread because no one is gonna see it anyway. I use a lot of off white or black, depending on the color base of the quilt top.
For quilting, I look at the colors I have as the primary colors of my top. I'll choose a variegated thread in the color family I am using and let the design flow or if I want to hide the stitches, choose as close to a color as the base, only a bit darker. It hides it well.

tim in san jose

ckcowl 04-19-2013 02:46 AM

at Superior Threads they have (down-loadable) charts explaining all the different threads, what they are best used for, what needles to use with which threads- start there- read about the threads-then pick up a few spools that meet your needs & try them out- everyone has their own favorties- as you will too- i believe they do have some (sampler) packs so you can try out a few different threads without a huge investment or risk of buying something you don't like and being stuck with alot of it.