Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Where do you... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/where-do-you-t192352.html)

anita211 06-21-2012 03:02 AM

Where do you...

I have a quilt that needs to be sandwiched. The problem is, the quilt is 108" x 108" which is 9 feet square. I wuold love to spray baste, but need to be outdoors or at least in an area where one is not breathing the fumes from the stuff. Then there is pin basting, but we don't have the floor space, table space, any space to put it on so that I can get the darn thing sandwiched.

Does anybody have ideas on how/where I should go to get enough room to lay this thing out sothat I can finish it. I forgot to mention, putting this on a floor (which there isn't a 10 foot square area on the floor) is not an option. I have a cat, and I have a cocker spaniel. Both would be trying to 'help.'

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

YC Quilter 06-21-2012 03:22 AM

How about asking a local church to use one of their long tables that most of them have? I admire your ambition to quilt such a big quit! I have also used my kitchen island to layer the sandwich on, start pinning in the middle and then reposition as needed.

NJ Quilter 06-21-2012 03:27 AM

Or check with your local fire house. If they do hall rentals they will have tables you can butt together to get the area you need. I've used my cutting table as well. Just start in the middle and work your way out. I use big binder clips, clip around all edges of table; pin; reposition, etc. Takes a bit of time but then I'm not lugging stuff all over town. Then again, I do the fh once in a while as well. If I have to lug stuff down the steps in my house, I might as well keep going!

lfletcher 06-21-2012 03:43 AM

Some longarmers will baste a quilt for you and in our area it is a reasonable price. The size of the quilt may be too big for some frames. It is for mine.

piepatch 06-21-2012 03:45 AM

If there is a quilters group at a church near you, they will sometimes sandwich a quilt for a reasonable fee, and some of the long arm quilters will sandwich one for you, for a fee of course. As big as your quilt is, and with no space to sandwich it yourself, it might be worth it to pay someone to do it for you.

Jackie Spencer 06-21-2012 04:02 AM

I used to go to our local Library. They would let us use one of their conference rooms, we would shove together a couple of their big tables, and we would layer and baste our quilts on them. We could do 3 queen size quilts in an afternoon.

joyce888 06-21-2012 04:03 AM

If you have a large garage door you could first hang an old sheet on the inside of the door with clamps, then lay another sheet on the garage floor to protect your quilt. Pin the backing to the sheet, spray then start your layering.

woody 06-21-2012 04:06 AM

I spray basted a large quilt 80"by 88" on the kids table tennis table (it even folds away when they are not using it :) )
I used bulldog clips to keep it nice a smooth while I spray basted half the quilt and then I repositioned and did the other half. I have just finished quilting it and not one pucker Whoo hooo, happy dance, now just for the binding :(

gollytwo 06-21-2012 04:08 AM

As long as it's open to the public, we can book a large room at our local public library.
There are large tables that can be butted to get the size we need.
We try to wait til there are several of us - everyone works on them, one after another. Goes very fast that way.

I've also used the library tables to lay out quilt blocks for large quilts. Tag each block so when I'm home I know the order to piece them.

Becky Crafts 06-21-2012 05:18 AM

I live in a motorhome and I use the campground's community center to sandwich a large quilt. As long as it's not needed for something else, they are happy to let me use it.