Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Where do you wash your new quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/where-do-you-wash-your-new-quilt-t212267.html)

sewelegant 01-28-2013 09:54 AM

Where do you wash your new quilt?

I'm finishing up the binding on my first king size quilt. I'm using the Sharon Schambler gluing method (love it!) so the glue needs to be washed out. And I like the crinkly look of a washed quilt. So where do you wash your quilts? At home? I have a top-loader & this baby won't fit! At the laundromat? I worry about grease or something getting on it. Need some advise please!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 01-28-2013 09:55 AM

I stuff mine in the top loader at home with color catchers. I stop it every few mintues and rearrange it by hand because the washer is so full.

azwendyg 01-28-2013 09:59 AM

I soak and my huge quilts in the bathtub, then spin in the washer, put in the dryer until just damp, then spread on the bed with a fan blowing on it to finish drying. This method involves a lot of work, but it's worth it to me to get a quilt ready to use. Smaller quilts go straight through the wash, and then are blocked when damp-dry.

girliegirl 01-28-2013 10:05 AM

I use my mom's front loader with color catchers! if it is really a large one... but then she says how nice it will look on her bed!! lol...

carslo 01-28-2013 10:09 AM

I go to the laundry mat and use the triple washer with color catchers and then use the dryers there if I have more that 2 quilts to wash and dry. I have a top loader at home which is huge but it is an HE washer and thus not a lot of water. I use Elmer's Washable School Glue to sandwich my quilts, so I want to make sure it is all washer out and it skips the wear and tear on my home machine.

Lori S 01-28-2013 10:23 AM

Take it to the Laundro mat. USe the big triple size loader . The big dryers will really help from having to constantly reposition in the dryer to get the center dry. I understand your concern about using the equipment that is used by lots of others... these are wasing machines ...and will have a certain level of cleaniness by nature of their function. Inspect the outside of the machine just when you load it it does not pick up any unwanted "extra's". Bring your own laundry basket to load it in the dryer.

sewelegant 01-28-2013 11:10 AM

Thanks for the advise. To the laundromat it will go! I'm so excited, can't wait to get it done! Maybe tonight, or tomorrow nite.

BellaBoo 01-28-2013 11:46 AM

I have an HE top loader and my king size comforter fills the tub so any quilt will fit, but I don't let it swish, I fill the washer dunk the quilt in the water until covered, then turn it off and let it soak, then drain, spin, rinse soak, and spin.

Joset 01-28-2013 01:10 PM

i use my front load washer and hang them outside. i use warm water.

quilts4charity 01-28-2013 04:50 PM

I wash and dry mine at home...have a large capacity HE washer and dryer.