Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Where to get fabric as a beginner? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/where-get-fabric-beginner-t217364.html)

rosalynd 03-25-2013 06:02 PM

Where to get fabric as a beginner?

So I have just jumped on the quilting bandwagon and have no stash to speak of.
In the past I have only done a few baby blankets and bought my fabric at Joann's. I'm sure there has to be a better place to go for quilting fabrics. I'm really looking for some nice old timey fabrics (florals, calicos, etc.). I'm not so into the bright colors and modern prints.
Any suggestions of where to look?

Sarah in Brooklyn 03-25-2013 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by rosalynd (Post 5954502)
So I have just jumped on the quilting bandwagon and have no stash to speak of.
In the past I have only done a few baby blankets and bought my fabric at Joann's. I'm sure there has to be a better place to go for quilting fabrics. I'm really looking for some nice old timey fabrics (florals, calicos, etc.). I'm not so into the bright colors and modern prints.
Any suggestions of where to look?

Try fabric.com and connectingthreads.com they both have a lot of inexpensive fabrics. And lots of sales!

TexasSunshine 03-25-2013 06:59 PM

e.quilter.com is a good online company, MSQCo, Connecting Threads, Fabric.com and Hancocks of Paducah.

BDawn 03-25-2013 07:03 PM

Local quilt shops. Estate sells, good will's.

Pat625 03-25-2013 07:12 PM

Also watch Craiglist..I happen to like Joannes fabrics, and even some from Walmart..You need to look and feel the fabric, no matter where you buy it or how much it costs! I have also taken chances in Ebay, and so far have gotten good quality fabric for very low cost..

NikkiLu 03-25-2013 07:14 PM

You might try a regular fabric store - maybe a small neighborhood store - they would be cheaper than a quilt shop. We have a very tiny shop here that has a very nice assortment of flat fold fabrics @ $3.99 per yard.

newbee3 03-25-2013 07:19 PM

I have picked up quite a bit of fabric from thrift shops.

DEPP 03-25-2013 07:27 PM

I use the internet quite a bit for convenience and have been pleased. Colors might be off sometimes, but free shipping and good pricing.
Here in Dallas, there are several wholesale factory places that sell bolts by the yard. They have good variety ad great prices.

whynotquilt 03-25-2013 07:29 PM

Marshall Dry Goods is in Batesville, Arkansas. Not sure how close that is to you, but their on line prices aren't bad. Also yard sales, Walmarts, thrift stores...
Welcome to the world of quilting. Your stash will take shape in no time.

cathyvv 03-25-2013 08:31 PM

If you have a walmart near you that has a decent fabric department, check them out. If you're a bit choosy about what you buy, you can get some good fabric at a reasonable price. Some of their fabric is just as good as LQS - have seen some of them in LQS!

On line - Connecting Threads, great fabrics at great prices. Thousands of Bolts but only one Nut is good, too.

Good luck!