Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Where should I begin the machine quiting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/where-should-i-begin-machine-quiting-t1660.html)

NewsletterBot 08-01-2007 08:41 PM

I am a new quilter and am just wrestling with the final machine quilting part. I have made several quilts without using this final step. Previously I have only stiched in the ditch plain squares,but would love to try stipple etc. My question is, Where should I begin the machine quiting? In the middle of the quilt? In a corner? At the side? Is there the "correct" spot to start to produce the least puckering etc?

Thanks!
Jackie

Flying_V_Goddess 08-01-2007 08:47 PM

I was told to start in the middle and then work your way out.

zyxquilts 08-01-2007 09:11 PM

I always start in the center & work my way out. The first quilt I did stippling on, I started on one of the center blocks, then just worked my way out. That first block took me about a half-hour to do, but I got faster & faster as I went along...think the last block only took about 5 minutes! LOL Amazing what practice (and remembering to breathe!) can do! :D

k_jupiter 08-01-2007 09:23 PM

Iffum I were stippling, I would start in the middle and work my way out. If I were doing free motion to a pattern, I would stabilize the quilt by sewing along block lines in the ditch then work on whatever block took my fancy at that time. The ditch will keep you from bunching up long pieces of un-quilted fabric.
I plan on doing diamond pattern all over the top on this present quilt (a quilt meant as a present). I will first stabilize on the block edges with dissolving thread, then start in the middle with the diamond straight lines, a walking foot on the mighty Bernina.

I don't anticipate any issues with this scheme.

Good luck,
tim in san jose

kathy 08-02-2007 03:04 AM

so Tim, who is the lucky recipient?

Carla P 08-02-2007 04:18 AM

Tim, will you be doing your diamonds like crosshatch?

As far as I can see, the only problems you may encounter would be the grief you will receive from all of us if you do not post a picture of it... other than that, sounds like you have a good plan. :D

k_jupiter 08-02-2007 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
so Tim, who is the luck recipient?

daughter #1

tim

k_jupiter 08-02-2007 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Carla P
Tim, will you be doing your diamonds like crosshatch?

As far as I can see, the only problems you may encounter would be the grief you will receive from all of us if you do not post a picture of it... other than that, sounds like you have a good plan. :D

yep cross hatched on about a 2 inch frequency.

If I ever find the battery charger for the digital camera, you'll see a picture.

tim

Carla P 08-02-2007 09:14 AM

:lol: Sounds like you & my Daughter #1 have a lot in common... she leaves her charger all over the country though... everytime she travels. A couple of weeks later it'll show up in the mail. :roll:

Oh well, when you get the chance, we'd love to see it.

lin 08-02-2007 10:08 AM

Hmm... guess I'll be odd man out. If I'm doing an all-over design, I like to start in the upper right hand corner and work across to the left about 14" and then back and forth down to bottom at that width. I feel more secure cramming that right hand edge under the throat area if it's already been quilted. So far I haven't had any trouble with it getting out of square, or bunching towards the center as I move left over the piece. I hand baste about 3" apart from bottom to top though, so it's not likely to shift much.

Like you tim, if I do one with a pattern in the blocks, I do ITD and then feel safe starting anywhere I want. :)