Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Whew! What a break! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whew-what-break-t286637.html)

NJ Quilter 03-07-2017 07:46 PM

Whew! What a break!

I haven't sewn for ages. I have spent several days over the last couple of weeks cleaning up my sewing room. Got some UFO's re-organized. That's all good.

Had a 'bonus' day today (no work - yippee!) so decided I was going to sew. Had a UFO that had one measly block that needed to be done (a sampler class from my LQS from 3 yrs ago!). So I pressed and started slicing and dicing. Had to do some diagonals made from squares. No biggie. Set those aside. Then to cutting sub-cuts of background fabric. This was for a paper piecing block. Well, as I'm sliding my background fabric along to make sub-cuts (do you see where this is going?), I accidentally pulled a stack of the triangles along underneath of the background fabric. As I was slicing that I noticed a shadow under the fabric. Horrors! It was the tips of the triangles of one group of fabrics and not the piece of paper I assumed!

Of course, no same leftover fabric as they only give you small cuts of what you need for that given block. All the fabrics are very cooridinated. Worst case, I can probably piece something together. Take a break. The shop owner/instructor for this project always oversizes the sub-cuts for pp'ing - thankfully. None of my clipped points made a difference!

I was able to get the segments done without having to piece my goofy triangles! Happy day. So much so that I even managed to do some hand quilting this evening! Closing in on the end of that particular UFO as well! A good day all around! Just had to share since I know most of you have 'been there, done that' in one way or another.

Happy sewing/quilting to all!

Dina 03-07-2017 07:49 PM

Oh, I am glad this had a happy ending! It was a good day all around!

Dina

SherB 03-07-2017 08:10 PM

Oh my gosh! I had a similar experience yesterday. Fussy cutting a flower out of the edge of a yard piece of fabric, I accidentally had a segment, much further into the fabric, underneath. With my new Martelli cutter, I didn't even notice the extra thickness. Oops!

Vicki1212 03-07-2017 09:32 PM

Oh no! :D I understand that horrible sinking feeling of realisation only too well! I'm so happy it turned out okay in the end!

Jane Quilter 03-07-2017 09:45 PM

My tummy turned over as I read your story...glad it turned out well. will you post a pic of your 3 yr old sampler quilt? (not that age matters! LOL)

NJ Quilter 03-08-2017 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter (Post 7779844)
My tummy turned over as I read your story...glad it turned out well. will you post a pic of your 3 yr old sampler quilt? (not that age matters! LOL)

Will be happy to if I ever get the silly thing done! In addition to all of the above as I was working on this yesterday, on segment #3 of 4, I put the first piece of fabric wrong side out when and had to rip that out and re-do. Decided it was time for a break from that block! Maybe I'll get motivated to do some work on that before going to work this AM.

jmoore 03-09-2017 03:36 AM

Whew is right...glad it all worked out. Can't wait to see your finish.

toverly 03-09-2017 04:39 AM

Oh no! That is a sinking feeling, I have done it myself. Glad you were able to get it done anyway. Good job on tackling those UFO"s.

Reba'squilts 03-09-2017 04:58 AM

Sometimes bad things happen when cutting, glad yours turned out ok. I am looking for a gray that will fit into a quilt for my grandson. Yes, I bought enough, was cutting up with accuquilt the other day and got used to cutting the fabric into smalll pieces....just dazing along. Pieces are too small. Dummy me. Store went out of business so I will be shopping for something that will perhaps match! Self-made roadblock.

costumegirl 03-09-2017 05:39 AM

I have absolutely done that!!! It's an "OH NO" moment! :shock: :mad: :(
Good to hear that you are able to work it out!