Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   White fabric wrinkles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/white-fabric-wrinkles-t180845.html)

Donna in Mo 02-26-2012 08:18 PM

White fabric wrinkles

I bought the first white at my LQS and paid about $8.00 a yard. I was so disappointed. I ended up pressing it before I gave it away as a gift. Today I went to Joanns to get solid white fabric. All of the fabric said wash cold, delicate cycle. I prewashed the fabric as directed and air dried. This is the second white fabric I have purchased that wrinkles so badly. What do you ladies who quilt a lot use. I can't believe quilt fabric that has to washed on delicate.

Scissor Queen 02-26-2012 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Donna in Mo (Post 5011846)
I bought the first white at my LQS and paid about $8.00 a yard. I was so disappointed. I ended up pressing it before I gave it away as a gift. Today I went to Joanns to get solid white fabric. All of the fabric said wash cold, delicate cycle. I prewashed the fabric as directed and air dried. This is the second white fabric I have purchased that wrinkles so badly. What do you ladies who quilt a lot use. I can't believe quilt fabric that has to washed on delicate.

It doesn't have to be washed on delicate. Cotton is not a delicate. Cotton wrinkles. Some more than others. I use Best Press to get the wrinkles out.

earthwalker 02-26-2012 08:38 PM

Yep...you just learn how to love ironing. I line dry all the time, just bring it off the line when it is still slightly damp and then spray starch it to death.

QuiltingCrazie 02-27-2012 01:04 AM

Probably a no no but I don't prewash my fabrics. I've never had issues.

Tollergirl 02-27-2012 01:21 AM

I have not used much white since my first quilt. I do not prewash so I am not sure if/why white would wrinkle up more than any other color. I do use delicate with the finished quilt, but only because my regular cycle (german washer) takes 1:45 minutes. delicate only takes 1:09!

mic-pa 02-27-2012 03:44 AM

I use wihite on white all the time in my quilts And yes, cotton wrinkles and needs to be ironed. But I do find some is better than others. Depends on the maker. I use hot water, and it all goes in the dryer allthough I try and take it out while slightly damp so it presses easier.

Jackie Spencer 02-27-2012 06:35 AM

I never pre wash either, been quilting since mid 70's and never had a problem, not even with reds.

Krisb 02-27-2012 12:53 PM

Drying on the energy saving cycle is about right the right degree of damp to iron the wrinkles.

ckcowl 02-27-2012 01:19 PM

iron the fabric when it is still damp-and use starch or sizing if needed- it's not just whites- most cottons (unless permenent press) need to be ironed after washing- its just the nature of the beast. why are you air drying? generally cottons are washed- regular cycle- tossed into the dryer- take them out before over-drying- especially if you are (pre-shrinking) the dryer heat helps with that.

happyquiltmom 02-29-2012 05:46 AM

Mary Ellen's Best Press. Hands down better than starch!