Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   white sashing & pressing toward dark vs pressing toward least resistance (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/white-sashing-pressing-toward-dark-vs-pressing-toward-least-resistance-t265207.html)

gale 05-14-2015 06:37 PM

white sashing & pressing toward dark vs pressing toward least resistance

So I'm making a couple of little doll quilts with white sashing. The sashing has no seams so it would be easier to press toward it, but it seems like with white sashing, you'd see the seams later when it's quilted. What do you do in this situation? I'm mostly using lighter colors but there are dark-ish blues and reds in it too.

NiaJane 05-14-2015 07:06 PM

Good question! I was wondering about this today as well.
I'm interested in what others do in this situation.
Thanks for posting this :thumbup:

EasyPeezy 05-14-2015 07:08 PM

I'd press open or towards the dark whichever is less bulky.

bearisgray 05-14-2015 07:16 PM

I usually press towards the darker sode,

But

When I press towards the lighter side, I just make sure that the white seam allowance is "wider" than the dark seam allowance by a couple of threads - either by lining up the pieces that way - or by trimming the darker seam allowancr by a couple of theads.

Or you can press the seams open

QuiltnNan 05-15-2015 05:00 AM

i'd press away from the white. but if it's not possible for some reason, use a very white batting to lessen the 'see through' of the white. and, like bearisgray states, make sure the darker fabric seam allowance is not wider than the white seam allowance... and make sure to clip any dark threads.

PaperPrincess 05-15-2015 05:01 AM

I press so that there's the least bulk. I use a lot of white and there has only been one occasion where my willy nilly pressing technique allowed the darker fabric to show thru. I think it was because the white fabric was thinner than I normally use. Except for this one time, I personally haven't noticed any show thru with lighter fabrics. Remember when you press to the light, there are 2 layers of the light fabric (top + seam allowance) that will shield the darker fabric.

lfletcher 05-15-2015 06:20 AM

I was taught to press in the direction that is easiest for construction. If you need to nestle seams, then pressing them in opposite directions is much preferred. If you press toward the white, make certain that any dark color does not extend past the white seam allowance.

ManiacQuilter2 05-15-2015 07:29 AM

With quilting, it is what ever is easiest for you. I would check to see if you have any scraps of white batting to use. That might help.

Jingle 05-15-2015 07:36 AM

Sometimes pressing away from white isn't the way to go. I don't really worry about it.

gale 05-15-2015 01:34 PM

I ended up pressing only the questionable seams open. I might do some tests when I get more time. I need to make some mug rugs and stuff to use up some of the backing/batting that is glued together and left over from other quilts.