Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   White sheets instead of white quilting fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/white-sheets-instead-white-quilting-fabric-t277960.html)

Vicki1212 04-21-2016 11:02 PM

White sheets instead of white quilting fabric?

The quality of the white quilting fabric at the store I usually buy from has declined drastically. Their current stock is so thin that everything shows through it and it feels flimsy. I recently bought two 100% cotton bed sheets with 180 thread count and 200 thread count and was thinking of using these in place of white quilting fabric for piecing the front of my quilt. Has anyone used these for quilting? If so, were you happy with the results?

DOTTYMO 04-21-2016 11:06 PM

I have friends who due to financial restrictions buy cotton sheets from charity shops. When they are used in a quilt you can't tell they are not cotton from a shop. They use them for white backgrounds and backing.

Bree123 04-22-2016 02:18 AM

180 thread count is comparable to batiks. Definitely wouldn't recommend either one if you plan to hand quilt, but should be fine for machine quilting. Make sure to use a Sharp/Microtex needle or a Topstitch needle both for piecing and quilting as they get through the tighter weave easier than a quilting needle. Also, it will be a slightly warmer quilt because denser weaves don't breathe as much. But other than that, go for it!

QuiltnNan 04-22-2016 03:02 AM

i just finished a quilt and used a sheet for the backing. i quilted it on my DSM and no issues with the sewing. i used the same needle that i used for piecing.

hairquilt 04-22-2016 03:44 AM

I use sheets all the time-piecing and for the backs-I am hand quilting one now with no problems at all!

redstilettos 04-22-2016 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 7529931)
I have friends who due to financial restrictions buy cotton sheets from charity shops. When they are used in a quilt you can't tell they are not cotton from a shop. They use them for white backgrounds and backing.

I typically bypass the sheet section when rummaging through thrift stores. Maybe I need to rethink this! Thanks for the tip!

ontheriver 04-22-2016 04:24 AM

I found 6 king white sheets once at thrift store, washed them well and used for backgrounds for quite awhile. Never had any problems and you couldn't tell they were sheets. I also use sheets for backings. Looks good and cost effective.

dorismae904 04-22-2016 05:05 AM

I started using flannel sheets from yard sales which worked beautifully. When I see king size flat ones on sale, I use them. Lately my church received a large amount of sheets and they work well for backings and piecing. since most of mine are charity quilts, I don't get much feedback but I never heard any complaints.

notmorecraft 04-22-2016 05:08 AM

I have used cotton sheets, not pollycotton, in quilts in for backing and also in the front as bet colour match, not had any problems piecing or quilting and when finished you can't tell the difference with the quilt shop cotton.

tessagin 04-22-2016 05:11 AM

I got a couple sheets at an estate sale yesterday for $2.00. Top/flat, king and queen. Brought them home and washed them already. Good sheets. I like using them for backing. I know what size they are. When I washed them I used vinegar in the wash and rinse cycle. It got rid of the light perfume scent of the dryer sheets they used.