Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Who does not use quilt basting spray and why not? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-does-not-use-quilt-basting-spray-why-not-t29453.html)

Butterfli19 11-28-2009 12:12 PM

Just to hear from the other side. I was just at Ben Franklin and they had the 505 for 12.99 and I didn't buy it. It also felt really light. I guess I expected it to feel more like a can of spray starch.

So those of you who don't spray-baste, why don't you?

Bottle Blonde 11-28-2009 12:25 PM

I don't use it because I already have the supplies for hand basting - and I am too cheap to buy another product when I can use what I have. (I sure did wish I had some last night after crawling around on the floor basting the over-size twin quilt I am working on) :lol:

kwhite 11-28-2009 12:47 PM

I use Aqua Net hair spray instead. It is much cheaper.

judy_68 11-28-2009 12:51 PM

I actually just started using it and love it. I had so much trouble with just pins. It would always shift. Now I use both.
Judy In Ohio

Quiltgranny 11-28-2009 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by kwhite

WHAT?! :shock: :shock: Really?! :shock: I remember that stuff; it was bullet proof! :lol: And, it's still available, huh? How do you know it is safe for your fabrics and sewing machine? Does it wash out completely? Inquiring minds would like to know. Thanks so much. Look forward to being enlightened. :)

Karla in CO

MadQuilter 11-28-2009 01:16 PM

I pin-baste. Have not found a reason to venture off that path.

kwhite 11-28-2009 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny

WHAT?! :shock: :shock: Really?! :shock: I remember that stuff; it was bullet proof! :lol: And, it's still available, huh? How do you know it is safe for your fabrics and sewing machine? Does it wash out completely? Inquiring minds would like to know. Thanks so much. Look forward to being enlightened. :)

Karla in CO

I have never had any problems with it. It does wash out easily and I have had no ill effects on my fabrics. Try a small project though. I have not used it on large quilts.

sewNso 11-28-2009 02:48 PM

when i started quilting again about l0 yrs ago, i tried the spray basting. maybe because i also used spray starch on my fabric as i worked, it didn't work. i never had good luck with the whole sandwich staying in place for me to roll, and quilt myself on my home sewing machine.

i had much better luck using saft. pins, and placing lots of pins, all close. and i like fishing wts, to use as my quilt rests on the table overnite, before i pin the whole top.

dunster 11-28-2009 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I pin-baste. Have not found a reason to venture off that path.

Same here. I have a home-made cutting table, and I can enlarge it to 4' x 8'. I use starch and lots of safety pins, haven't needed to use basting spray.

trupeach 11-28-2009 04:38 PM

:shock: So how do you do it?????Do you spray the backing then put the batting on top then spray the batting and put the quilt top on top??? how long until it dries?????? this is interesting!!!!!!!!!