Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Who has the 18x8 viking long arm machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-has-18x8-viking-long-arm-machine-t114065.html)

Charming 04-06-2011 02:55 PM

I am debating myself to buy a long arm machine (not expensive fancy one), but it has to have a computer since long arm is not my passion. I love piecing most but i would love to be able to finish my quilts so again pantograph is really fine (don't care for custom free motion). After much research i am thinking of the viking one but i will not be getting enough support from the dealer as to training since he is not familiar with it, so does anybody have it with either Qbot or the new quilt sew vac computer that replaced the qbot? how do you like it and is it user friendly? is it durable? does it need a lot of maintenance? too many questions?????
Well any feedback would greatly be appreciated.

bjeriann 04-06-2011 03:44 PM

I don't have the Qbot with my Mega Quilter but I like the machine. I think it's a good machine to learn on, but it only makes you want a bigger throat machine. I've had mine for about a year and within a month or so I knew I would have to get something bigger asap. So get the largest throat you can so you won't need to trade up.

PaperPrincess 04-07-2011 07:18 AM

Well, mine is being delivered tomorrow. I had been looking at the dealer and playing on the demo unit trying to decide. Someone bought one and returned it, and gave me a great price. The gal that brought it back had a family emergency and couldn't keep it. For an additional fee, they are delivering & setting up. They also threw in the QBot software. Go to the qbot web site, they have web classes you can take. The actual machine is made by Tin Lizzie. Fortunately, my dealer is very familiar with the software and machine. As a matter of fact, she was debating if she should buy this one herself or sell it to me! She may come over & use mine for a quilt or two and give me a lesson at the same time. I'll post again next week and let you know how I feel about it then ;-)
Nancy

Charming 04-07-2011 07:27 AM

That is wonderful..thank you. I can't wait for your feedback, and you are so lucky to have someone to help you and actually try it. Our dealer doesn't even have displayed because Joann's store is not allowing them for space issue (though it is a huge super store).

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Well, mine is being delivered tomorrow. I had been looking at the dealer and playing on the demo unit trying to decide. Someone bought one and returned it, and gave me a great price. The gal that brought it back had a family emergency and couldn't keep it. For an additional fee, they are delivering & setting up. They also threw in the QBot software. Go to the qbot web site, they have web classes you can take. The actual machine is made by Tin Lizzie. Fortunately, my dealer is very familiar with the software and machine. As a matter of fact, she was debating if she should buy this one herself or sell it to me! She may come over & use mine for a quilt or two and give me a lesson at the same time. I'll post again next week and let you know how I feel about it then ;-)
Nancy

mytwopals 04-07-2011 07:48 AM

The Viking MegaQuilter 18.8 and the Pfaff GrandQuilter 18.8 are both built by Tin Lizzie are similar to their Tin Lizzie 18LS.

If you purchase the Qbot, make certain the Qbot is version 2.07 or 2.09. If not, you'll want to get it upgraded. The upgrade now costs $149, if memory serves me correctly. You will need the 2.09 version, only if your frame is longer than 10'.

Then you will definitely want the 4D Quilt Design Creator software and not the older 4D Qbot Design software. Another $175 upgrade, again if memory serves me correctly. Do not purchase Qbot software, which has already been opened and registered. You wil not be able to transfer the registration. You'll use this software to create your own designs compatible with the Qbot. You can also use any graphics drawing software, like Corel Draw to make your own designs. But the 4D Quilt Design Creator software has some nice features, like background fills.

I have used my Qbot quite a bit with my Pfaff GrandQuilter 9" machine and it works very nicely. I have just recently purchased a used Tin Lizzie 18 and plan to move the Qbot to this machine/frame this weekend.

Charming 04-07-2011 07:51 AM

Wow thanks for the info. So do you think the qbot is user friendly because they have the new one now replacing the qbot and would love to know which is easier to use.

Originally Posted by mytwopals
The Viking MegaQuilter 18.8 and the Pfaff GrandQuilter 18.8 are both built by Tin Lizzie are similar to their Tin Lizzie 18LS.

If you purchase the Qbot, make certain the Qbot is version 2.07 or 2.09. If not, you'll want to get it upgraded. The upgrade now costs $149, if memory serves me correctly. You will need the 2.09 version, only if your frame is longer than 10'.

Then you will definitely want the 4D Quilt Design Creator software and not the older 4D Qbot Design software. Another $175 upgrade, again if memory serves me correctly. Do not purchase Qbot software, which has already been opened and registered. You wil not be able to transfer the registration. You'll use this software to create your own designs compatible with the Qbot. You can also use any graphics drawing software, like Corel Draw to make your own designs. But the 4D Quilt Design Creator software has some nice features, like background fills.

I have used my Qbot quite a bit with my Pfaff GrandQuilter 9" machine and it works very nicely. I have just recently purchased a used Tin Lizzie 18 and plan to move the Qbot to this machine/frame this weekend.

mytwopals 04-07-2011 08:44 AM

Running Qbot is not too difficult. There are a number of YouTube videos with instruction. Just do a search on YouTube for qbot and you'll see them. They'll give you an idea of what is involved with running a Qbot.

PaperPrincess 04-08-2011 02:49 PM

Hi, my unit was delivered and set up today. It took 2 guys about 2 hours, and it was already partially assembled. I'm glad I had them do it! I got an overview on how to thread and maintain (oil, clean etc.) They also verified the stitch regulator and Qbot were operational. After they left, I attached the leaders and my husband and I loaded a quilt. Took about 45 minutes, but it actually was pretty easy. Leaders helped to get it on straight. I'm not very artistic, but I was doing pretty well with FMQ on my domestic machine. The long arm moves almost without effort and I'm used to the drag so another learning curve. I've only sewn with it about an hour (had to break to make dinner)so I'll post an update after more use. It is soooo much fun!

Charming 04-08-2011 04:08 PM

Thank you so much for the update. I can't wait for you to try the qbot and tell me how that goes. I really hope it will be user friendly. Will be waiting....

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Hi, my unit was delivered and set up today. It took 2 guys about 2 hours, and it was already partially assembled. I'm glad I had them do it! I got an overview on how to thread and maintain (oil, clean etc.) They also verified the stitch regulator and Qbot were operational. After they left, I attached the leaders and my husband and I loaded a quilt. Took about 45 minutes, but it actually was pretty easy. Leaders helped to get it on straight. I'm not very artistic, but I was doing pretty well with FMQ on my domestic machine. The long arm moves almost without effort and I'm used to the drag so another learning curve. I've only sewn with it about an hour (had to break to make dinner)so I'll post an update after more use. It is soooo much fun!