Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Who has a Bernina Q20? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-has-bernina-q20-t265660.html)

feline fanatic 05-27-2015 09:07 AM

Innova also makes a sitdown model and it is priced at $6K which includes the table without a stitch regulator. $7K with the stitch regulator. IMHO the innova is much more heavy duty better made machine than the HQ but that is only MHO.

My DSM is a bernina and I would be the first to sing its praises when it comes to DSM but when it comes to LA I agree with Prism, go with a manufacturer where Longarms are their only business and have been at it for a long while. If my heart was dead set on the Bernina, I would wait at least year or two to see what kind of bugs and kinks can be worked out and what the general public feedback is on the durability and performance of the machine, especially when it carries a price tag of a good $3K more than reputable, long established LA machines.

kristakz 05-27-2015 02:45 PM

Mine arrives tomorrow!! Well, not exactly mine, but I'll be doing the Longarm quilting at a local quilt store on their Q24 when it arrives. I'll be happy to provide feedback once I have a chance to try it out. I currently use a HandiQuilter Avante (18"), so I'll have that for comparison.

Candace 05-27-2015 04:46 PM

After all the problems the 8 and now 7 series DSM have had, I would run from the longarm. I would buy several other well known and bug-less manufacturers like Innova, Gammil, Nolting etc. I own many Berninas but the 8 series has been trouble! So, lesson learned about buying new technology from Bernina. The fact that it uses regular domestic needles is another turn off. Domestic needles were not meant to be used for the speeds long arms stitch at. I predict lots of problems in the future:<

SuzieQuilts 05-27-2015 06:46 PM

I am a Bernina die-hard and am thrilled they came out with a long arm. When I can justify owning a long arm and have the room for one, I will buy the Bernina LA for the same reason I only own Bernina DSM, their customer service and the tension quality.

Fizzle 05-28-2015 05:08 AM

Suz. I saw it demo'd in SLC last month. Loved it. Also a die hard Bernina fan. Have had my 930 for 30+ years. It was 9000 with the table at the show. Can't remember but think he said 12,000 regular (no table) and the table was pretty awesome also! Hand made in Switzerland like all the good berninas are. I am not at the quilting level that can justify a LA but someday!!! As long as there was good support I would get one in a heartbeat!

eastslopequilter 05-28-2015 05:24 AM

I have a sweet sixteen by handquilter and love it. The throat is not quite as big, but I have done large quilts with no problem. We built our extension side tables from old kitchen countertops and piano hinges to save a lot of money. Handiquilter also makes pfaff and possibly baby lock sit down quilters. Do your homework because they are more expensive with no more features. The baby lock is almost identical to the sweet sixteen, but a lot more expensive.

nvrxgal 05-28-2015 08:21 AM

I demo'd the Q20 at a quilt show a few months ago and it is one sweet machine! The best feature IMHO is the stitch regulator built into the needle plate area and this is what sold me on the Q20. It also is a beautiful machine purely from a design standpoint. Was looking at the HQ Sweet 16, but wasn't in love with the Tru-Stitch regulator. The only reason that I decided to wait awhile (besides $) was that I wanted it to be out on the market for a while to work out any kinks, so I'm looking at next spring - just in time for an excellent birthday present to me!

grann of 6 05-28-2015 08:58 AM

Pardon my ignorance, but is the Q20 a sit down machine where you move the quilt, or a standup machine where the carriage moves over the quilt? I have a HQ Avante with Pro stitcher and just love it. It takes up the whole living room, but having arthritis in my hands and wrists prevent me from moving the quilt on a machine. Handi Quilter is American made and their customer service is great. I don't know where Berninas are manufactured, but American made is important to me.

Suz 05-28-2015 09:35 AM

The Q20 is a sit-down machine wherein you move the fabric under the needle. Didn't know about the HandiQuilter being American made which is also important to me. Thanks for this information. Bernina is Swiss-made, I think. Someone correct me I misspeak. Thanks.

quiltstringz 05-28-2015 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Suz (Post 7208417)
My error!!! The cost of the Q20 is $9999.00 plus tax not $999. Sorry. I should do better proofing before posting.

Darn! for 999 I was going to go out and get one