Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Who knew.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-knew-t268679.html)

Nanax4 08-12-2015 06:26 AM

Who knew....

that sewing straight lines was so hard! I'm new to quilting anything other than in the ditch. I had NO idea that quilting a straight line is nigh to impossible!

I was so excited to get my new sewing machine, a Babylock Crescendo. And even more excited to finally get a project to the "ready to be quilted" stage.

Being a newbie to this, I foolishly thought that I could follow the seams and quilt 1/4" from the seam lines. What a dumb idea!!! The lines were all wavy, but I didn't really realize that until I was all done.

I also didn't know to increase the tension slightly, nor did I realize that I needed to lengthen the stitch length slightly. Argghhhh!!

Ok. So now I know those things. I also got the courage to switch over to the Muvit foot, which helped tremendously. I didn't want to mark the quilt, so ended up finding some 1/4" quilter's tape that seems to be working well. I've also learned to pay very close attention to any drag possibilities. I didn't really notice that the first time around.

Off to sit on the deck and pick out the original quilting. There's something calming about it, actually. :)

QuiltMom2 08-12-2015 06:29 AM

Hang in there! Sometimes, there's no substitute for experience.

bjgallent 08-12-2015 06:35 AM

Did ou try using a walking foot with a bar? If you want them closer together, you could use the presser foot as a guide and move the needle to far left. Hope this makes sense.

Ginger's Mom 08-12-2015 06:45 AM

Hang in there Nana,I'm very new to this also and after many mistakes I finally made a small sample sandwich and practiced my straight lines and found the right tension, (yes, had to increase it to 8 from 4). Practice makes perfect.

Nanax4 08-12-2015 06:45 AM

bjgallent...I started out using the presser foot as a guide. Apparently that's not gonna work for me until I get some more experience under my belt. I also think that my seams were not as straight as I thought they were. They look fine, big picture. They look fine until you add the detail of stitching next to them. I guess I just wasn't being careful enough.

The Muvit foot doesn't have a bar, and I haven't looked at the walking foot. I don't remember even getting a walking foot with the machine. I think I only have the Muvit foot. I've been too chicken to try anything with moving the needle, but that sounds like a possible solution. I'll try that tonight.

I think I should take a beginner's class for quilting. I didn't think it was going to be all that hard! I have a whole new appreciation for those whole cloth quilts that I've seen!!

Onebyone 08-12-2015 07:23 AM

I mark my quilt for straight lines. I can stay straight sewing on a line but will wobble if trying to use a guild line like the edge of the foot or seam line.

TexasSunshine 08-12-2015 11:01 AM

I have always used a walking foot and the little bar(guide) you attach to the pressure foot and is adjustable for whatever width you want. For crosshatching I would start in the center and stitch diagonally on the quilt, then go to the next row and so forth. I would stitch from the center out on each side.

Jan in VA 08-12-2015 03:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you mean it's hard to keep a consistent straight line there are several tricks to help. Here's one:

Jan in VA

AliKat 08-12-2015 06:17 PM

I would think that Baby Lock has a 1/4" flange guide foot available. The flange is that little metal guide thingy on the right side of the foot.

I have one for my machines, though a different brand, which I have used for years. Love it.

MadQuilter 08-12-2015 06:29 PM

I got the 1/4" foot for the Baby Lock and it works GREAT. I have the one with the flange and it does not give a true 1/4" seam, so beware - but the regular one does.