Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   who mazde the rules (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-mazde-rules-t117778.html)

Rose_P 04-21-2011 02:53 PM

This reminds me of the old story of the newlywed who cut her ham in half before putting it in the oven. The husband asked her why, and she said, "I don't know - that's how mom did it." So they asked her mom, and she said, "I don't know, that's how my mom did it." So they asked the grandmother, and she said, "Because that's the only way it would fit in the little oven I had years ago."

I have to admit I have a lot of trouble following rules that make no sense. I suspect that in hand quilting, if the threads cross they can abrade against each other each time someone tugs on the quilt and especially in the wash, and it might weaken the work. Things that are closely machine quilted probably do not have this issue. It's a tradition that is still followed today, but only for certain patterns. If you have someone nearby, you could test this by cutting two lengths of thread, holding them taut and rubbing one against the other in one spot. Maybe they would break in that area sooner than they would break anywhere else along the length of thread. I don't know - just guessing.

maryb119 04-21-2011 03:03 PM

I am here to tell you that I have crossed.......and the quilt police looked the other way.

TonnieLoree 04-21-2011 03:13 PM

I might start off stippling, but end up meandering. Wish I was perfect, but alas, I am only human. That was very rude of her. I just found some pieced cat blocks that are going to have their ears and tails clipped, but I don't think my granddaughter is going to complain. :lol:

sgardner 04-21-2011 03:36 PM

Too bad that she couldn't have complimented you on something you did right. Post a pic- I am sure you will get lots of encouragement here. We tend to tell the quilt police to go get lost.

2000HD 04-21-2011 05:26 PM

I started quilting about 20 years ago. That was one of the rules I was "taught" when machine quilting. I got over it.

My Granny always told me "you have to change with the times or get left behind."

Guess that quilt cop got left behind!

BellaBoo 04-21-2011 05:51 PM

I would (and have) replied, Thank goodness these tiresome rules are dying with the old.

amandasgramma 04-21-2011 05:54 PM

I read in the longarming "bible" that it's okay to cross the lines.......only those that DON'T quilt by machine say you can't cross the lines.

ChubbyBunny 04-21-2011 05:57 PM

That lady wasn't very nice. :-(

I try to not cross the lines when I stipple or meander. But if I'm adding little hearts or stars, the lines will obviously cross.

ChubbyBunny 04-21-2011 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I would (and have) replied, Thank goodness these tiresome rules are dying with the old.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

LivelyLady 04-21-2011 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Hall
I'm a rule breaker! If you like it, that is all that matters.
Rose

Amen!