Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Who says there's no reason to pre-wash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-says-theres-no-reason-pre-wash-t122370.html)

QuiltE 05-11-2011 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Harriet Hargrave doesn't pre-wash and that's good enough for me. Even if a quilt shrinks some after washing it'll still fit the bed.

Yes and no ... that 60" width of a queen just became 56".

Yes, you'd make it wider ... though how much would you factor in to compensate and know you still have a usable quilt?

Scissor Queen 05-11-2011 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Harriet Hargrave doesn't pre-wash and that's good enough for me. Even if a quilt shrinks some after washing it'll still fit the bed.

Yes and no ... that 60" width of a queen just became 56".

Yes, you'd make it wider ... though how much would you factor in to compensate and know you still have a usable quilt?

You washed unquilted fabric. Quilt some samples up and then wash.

You shouldn't make a quilt to just barely fit anyway. Batting shrinks too unless it's pre-shrunk. Beside even if a quilt shrinks some or even a lot it is still a perfectly useable quilt!

Pre-washing is for clothing construction!

hobbykat1955 05-11-2011 12:33 PM

I decided since I don't prewash to measure one of my table toppers right after I finished putting it all together...I washed it in cold water and lost all of 1/2 inch...I don't prewash like working with original sizing in fabric...Though, I recently had to wash some for a swap I'm doing and that's the rules...but normally no...Now I have to starch what I washed.

hetty 05-11-2011 12:41 PM

I pre-wash as you never know what kind of dust/dirt it has collected especially for those with asthma or allergies but most of all colour fastness. My very first experience of quilting - a 12 part kit Baltimore BOM by a well known company where they furnished the fabric. I quick-washed but didn't double rinse. The quilt was finished except for the binding and when being spritzed with water to remove quilting lines the colours ran! Some so badly right throught the batting and onto the backing. Bless the dear people on this board who recommended synthrapol which removed the mess and saved the day. So pre-wash and double rinse.

Jan in VA 05-11-2011 12:42 PM

Is it possible that your 60" wide fabric was cotton but home dec weight fabric rather than quilting weight cotton and that's why it shrank so?

Jan in VA

QuiltE 05-11-2011 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Is it possible that your 60" wide fabric was cotton but home dec weight fabric rather than quilting weight cotton and that's why it shrank so?

Jan in VA

I'm not really concerned about it ... wash and shrink first.

oksewglad 05-11-2011 01:01 PM

I prewash--a throw back from clothing construction days. Like hetty I had a bad experience with a red Hoffman fabric and I had washed and dried once! I always prewash.

Stitchnripper 05-11-2011 01:05 PM

Jan in VA

I'm interested in this - why would that make a difference? Are the cottons treated differently? I learn something every day on this board :-D

featherweight 05-11-2011 01:14 PM

I very seldom prewash. I guess everyone has their own way of doing things and that is the way I do mine!!!

justwannaquilt 05-11-2011 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

Jan in VA

I'm not really concerned about it ... wash and shrink first.

Thanks for the info all mighty quilt Gods!