Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Who taught you to sew? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-taught-you-sew-t193314.html)

jaciqltznok 07-01-2012 06:33 PM

grandma, mom and home-ec! I can remember back to being 3 and having my own fabric box to play with....there has never been a time in my life when I did not sew or craft

Latrinka 07-01-2012 06:43 PM

Mostly learned in home ec in high school. Taught myself to cross-stitch in my early twenties. All my life though, I always loved making things, crafty stuff. I used to love those sun catchers that you put the beads in and bake, anything like that I always loved!

CoyoteQuilts 07-01-2012 06:59 PM

I always hung over my mothers shoulder and asked, "Why" like a 3 year old while she was sewing. She came home from work one day and found me using her sewing machine when I was 7. In Jr. High when I had home ec she spent some good money on my fabric for my project. We were both upset when the teacher made me cut off the bottom for the hem and she had no idea how to do a good hem and it was a lot shorter in the back then the front. I would have worn that dress forever, but it was embarassing being so short. Now I have to say that I did wear my dresses & skirts VERY SHORT then, but this was bad..... I would have fixed it if I hadn't had to cut it off....

My aunt and great-aunt were fabulous seamstresses so this runs in the family up until me. My DH doesn't know and wouldn't learn when she was younger...

grammysharon 07-01-2012 07:25 PM

I learned to sew from my 7th grade Home Ec teacher!! Most schools around here don't have Home Ec anymore and I think it is so sad as I learned so much in 7th and 8th grade. Learned to love all kinds of sewing including hand sewing, embroidery, etc!!! Also, cooking, nutrition and everything having to do with keeping a home clean, neat and healthy!!! What fun to read how many of us learned our love of sewing in Home Ec class. What a loss for the kids of today!!!

grandmasieg 07-01-2012 08:58 PM

My grandmother was a seamstress and had a shop in downtown Pittsburgh at the old Jenkins Arcade. She made clothing and furs and specialized in corsettes (yes she did) and girdles! I would spend weekends with her and she would give me scraps of material to make dresses for my Barbie dolls. One of my first memories was helping her make me a dress when I was about three or four. My mother didn't sew at all. I've been sewing since. When my grandmother passed away when I was 12, I kept her Singer Featherweight and 99K which I still have. For highschool graduation my parents bought me a "new" Singer in a cabinet, which I also still have. I made clothes for myself, for my daughter (baby up through and including proms and wedding dresses). I got into quilting only recently (within the past ten years) and mainly make quilts for family and NNICUs. I make purses and love to embroider on just about anything.

My grandmother was a single mom and supported herself and my father with her sewing skills. I think of her every time I sit down at any of my sewing machines, but especially my grandma's featherweight and 99K. She was such a lovely lady. I'm sure she's very happy that I continued sewing.

Hugs!
Debbie

Jackie Spencer 07-01-2012 09:07 PM

I used to sit and watch my Moma make me and my 2 sisters clothes. Did'nt have a store bought dress till junior high. As soon as my feet reached the sewing machine peddle Moma taught me. She could sew everything, from upholstering furniture, all our clothes and later she made my Dad leisure suits.

GrannieAnnie 07-01-2012 11:58 PM

Mom taught me beginning when I was big enough to listen, I guess. I don't remember ever NOT sewing. Don't remember any "tips" per se. I was making my own clothing by grade 5.

GrannieAnnie 07-02-2012 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 5331310)
My Mom taught me.. saying "make it or go naked"! so by 8th grade it was a no longer an option for her to make any of my clothing . It was just understood , I was on my own now for making my clothing. Up till that point she would suppliment my efforts with some items she made for me.
I can still recall begging her to put in an invisable zipper in my prom dress, as I so wanted the dress to be perfect.

I made my prom dress, my wedding dress, my maid of honor's dress, and dresses for both sisters' weddings-----------along with many more prom dresses for others later.

GrannieAnnie 07-02-2012 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts (Post 5332251)
I always hung over my mothers shoulder and asked, "Why" like a 3 year old while she was sewing. She came home from work one day and found me using her sewing machine when I was 7. In Jr. High when I had home ec she spent some good money on my fabric for my project. We were both upset when the teacher made me cut off the bottom for the hem and she had no idea how to do a good hem and it was a lot shorter in the back then the front. I would have worn that dress forever, but it was embarassing being so short. Now I have to say that I did wear my dresses & skirts VERY SHORT then, but this was bad..... I would have fixed it if I hadn't had to cut it off....

My aunt and great-aunt were fabulous seamstresses so this runs in the family up until me. My DH doesn't know and wouldn't learn when she was younger...

Do you have any idea what the teacher was thinking? That had to be disappointing for you and for your mom

GrannieAnnie 07-02-2012 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by azure68 (Post 5331612)
My mom was a seamstress, but I never caught on to the sewing. She tried teaching me when I was 12 on her industrial Singer and I got a thread nest underneath the bobbin. I was immediately discouraged. I haven't touched a sewing machine for decades.

I'm 43 and took a Sewing 101 class 2 months ago at Joann's with a friend of mine. It was then and there I decided I wanted a sewing machine and I was sick of paying a tailor to hem my pants for me. I'm pretty much self taught in crochet, knitting, and soapmaking. So I figure why not self teach myself with sewing. And somewhere along the line, I got bit by the quilting bug. I haven't made my first quilt yet, but it will be soon. I also have the charm packs and jelly rolls sitting on my table, waiting for me.

Dig in! You'll be glad you did.