Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Who uses flannel backs? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-uses-flannel-backs-t250410.html)

Reba'squilts 07-21-2014 03:35 PM

I like to use flannel on baby quilts. But as dunster points out....in can look trashy after a while. Would love to find some real top quality flannel. Will have to check the site!

caspharm 07-21-2014 04:06 PM

Sew Batik has great products. I haven't used their flannel, but have felt it at shows. I agree that they need to push it more at the shows and in their ads.

Unfortunately, even though I love flannel, I don't know anyone in a cool area to make a quilt for with a flannel back.

Mornigstar 07-21-2014 07:14 PM

I sew tops for Victoria's Quilts that donate to cancer patients. Using flannel as a backing is a requirement for the
quilters because they want warmth during chemo treatments . Have a special group of ladies who use the LA
machine to do this. Canada has sewn approx. 15,000 of these quilts. Our group over 700 last count.

bailey 07-21-2014 07:30 PM

Thank you for this post. I too did not know about this site. I almost always use flannel on the back of my quilts. Soft and cuddly and as an added bonus they don't slide off the bed! It can be hard to find around here so will have a good look at this site. Thanks

Jannie 07-21-2014 07:43 PM

I love to use flannel for the back of my quilts. It makes them very cozy. I have not heard of this site, but I am going to check it out for a queen and a king size quilts I am doing.

phusker5 07-21-2014 09:19 PM

have you tried putting the Retayne in with the 1st wash on the batiks. I guess it must really set the colors because I wash in hot water with the Retayne and a couple of color catchers and have never had a problem with bleeding after that.

eparys 07-22-2014 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 6810866)
I love flannel on the backs of my quilts, and I love wide fabric, and I love batiks, but I had NO CLUE that wide flannel batiks existed! I didn't know flannel batiks existed!

Will definitely have to check this out.

Ditto for me - Just looked at them - they are beautiful!!

I use flannel on just about everything I do - including oversized queen size bed quilts. I love how it feels, looks, stays on the bed, and as it is cold up here in the winter - adds an additional touch of warmth

JAGSD 07-22-2014 03:27 AM

I have done quite a bit of long arming on wide backs including flannel and absolutely love it! I would definetly recommend Sew Batik. I have also purchased some of their fabric to make a jacket and skirts with, absolutely gorgeous fabric!
KEEP IN MIND that though wide backs are typically higher priced 12.00-23.00 a yard in a yard chunk (that is 1 yard by 108" ) you, in reality are getting 3 Yards, which makes your cost for one that is 23.00 a yard =8.00 per yard. In my world that is a bargain!No piecing needed, which means no matching needing of pieced seams.(if that is a concern-to which some quilters it is). No I do not work for them.....I just Love their products!!

kristakz 07-24-2014 05:04 AM

I use flannel, but I found the flannel batiks I bought to be very stiff, just like batik cotton is. So I lost the advantage of the soft cuddly aspect of flannel, when it was batik flannel. I wouldn't use it again, personally.

phusker5 07-24-2014 07:04 PM

This softens up pretty good after it's washed.