Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Who is your first " quilting mentor"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-your-first-%22-quilting-mentor%22-t53489.html)

josi49 07-10-2010 09:27 PM

Let's see, I started actively quilting in 2000, but did most of my quilting from books (Eleanor Burns) or LQS teachers. Then, in 2007 I went to Paducah Kentucky where I met Sharon Schamber at her booth. I watched her demos, listened to her talk as she demonstrated her machine applique and FMQ on a Juki she had set up in her spot and totally fell in love with her (sweet spirit) and her wonderful applique quilts. I think I have all of her books and many of her patterns and I'm taking a 3-day class from her in Lakeland FL in November. I don't do hand applique at all because of a botched carpal tunnel surgery, but I can do applique using her method with my Janome or Viking. She has lots of free videos on her website and You Tube. No affiliation, just a huge fan.

Annz 07-10-2010 09:30 PM

I don't really have one now but I took some classes from the crazy quilter Mary Ellen Hopkins in the middle 70's out in California and she will always be my quilting mommy.

ProudGranny5 07-11-2010 07:27 AM

Me, myself, & QB
No one around me sews let alone quilts. I taught myself everything that I know about sewing & quilting & still learning.
I have several 'great' friends here that are close to me that help when I need it.
And yes like most I spend alot of time here...it's my relaxing time. :)

lfw045 07-11-2010 07:40 AM

Actually, this message board!

aneternalpoet 07-11-2010 07:46 AM

Amma, that was one of the nicest things I read about who is soemones quilting mentor, lol.. this board is amazing, not only for those who so graciously post things, but just the comadarie, and the spirit in giving.. So hats off to everyone who has a mentor, who is a mentor, and who wants to be a mentor, or looking for one - we are a sisterhood , and I love being part!

eleu16 07-11-2010 07:53 AM

I didn't have a mentor because when I started there was no one around to help me, but now I'm mentor to a friend of mine who started quilting because of me and she loves fabric as much I do....she is arriving here from Switzerland tomorrow and is ready to raid the LQS with me...doesn't it sound like fun ???

aneternalpoet 07-11-2010 07:57 AM

FUN times ahead for you, gal.. oh the beauty of Switzerland alps!!!

Ma for Aadyn 07-11-2010 11:06 AM

My mother and I sewed for years together but never quilted. I would have to say that Eleanor Burns was my QUILT mentor. I have all of her books and have taken about 6 classes from her. I admire her very much. She is so down to earth and keeps things simple.

johnniesgirl 07-11-2010 11:26 AM

My sister-in-law always gave quilted items as gifts and I always admired them so much. Everything she made turned out beautiful. About a year ago she offered to teach me to quilt. We spent the whole day cutting, piecing and sewing. I loved it! She still comes to my house every Tuesday and is always teaching me something new.

reach for the stars 2 07-11-2010 11:31 AM

My Grandmother she taught me many things. I been teaching my Granddaughter hopefully she will remember and all the things I taught her. Quilting and crafts are fading out. People are all to busy. I hope the tradition continues.