Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   whole cloth quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whole-cloth-quilters-t182633.html)

thseabreze 03-13-2012 03:24 AM

whole cloth quilters

I was wondering how do you decide what designs to use and what do you use to transfer with?
Stenciling, or do you buy the cloth already stamped? I want to do one, but with my own design..Now I just need to figure out what design...and how to transfer it to the cloth.
thanks for any suggestions.

Hinterland 03-13-2012 04:53 AM

I've done 2 wholecloth quilts. In both cases, I designed them myself and traced the pattern onto the fabric using chalk pencils and a light box. Then I made a "template" out of bridal netting, using a sharpie to put the design on the netting - once the sharpie marking is dry, you can position the netting over the top and trace through it. That way I could refresh any lines that rubbed off.

You can buy stencils and trace those - probably a whole lot easier. And our Holice has some sensational whole cloth designs that are prestamped onto muslin.

Good luck!

Janet

bunniequilter 03-13-2012 05:02 AM

I have done two whole cloth quilts, both were Holice's stamped tops. They were a joy to do and very well designed.

QuiltnNan 03-13-2012 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Hinterland (Post 5055933)
I've done 2 wholecloth quilts. In both cases, I designed them myself and traced the pattern onto the fabric using chalk pencils and a light box. Then I made a "template" out of bridal netting, using a sharpie to put the design on the netting - once the sharpie marking is dry, you can position the netting over the top and trace through it. That way I could refresh any lines that rubbed off....

I love your netting hint!

Hinterland 03-13-2012 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5056451)
I love your netting hint!

Thanks, Nancy. It's a lot less tedious than making templates for ornate shapes. It's a bit stretchy but if you're careful it really works.

Janet

Nancy Ingham 03-13-2012 07:35 AM

I bought a whole quilt stamped top at Lolly's Fabric Store in Shipshewana Indiana last fall while there for a meet and greet. I loved the design and thought it would be a great top for me to practice my hand quilting. It currently sits in my "to do pile" as I have had other "gift" projects to do first; currently working on a jeans quilt to be finished by my granddaughter’s graduation. The fabric of the stamped whole quilt top is of excellent quality so I am excited to clear up my projects and give it a try. Good luck with whatever you decide to do! :)

Merivale 03-13-2012 09:46 AM

Whole cloth quilts are very rewarding and so enjoyable to make. I have made two both stamped but have the fabric in stash for another. I use the netting idea for my embroidery and it is most successful. If you decide to at some stage work on a stamped top keep it away from fluids. I have found working from the centre out is most important and have been looking at marking one on a soft gold colour background. Creams and whites are nice but think about colour maybe your backing. I use a soft pencil that I wash out when the quilt is complete.

LadyElisabeth 03-13-2012 10:16 AM

I am working on a whole cloth................for about 15 years. It is Hawaiian and I traveled to Ohau to "study" Hawaiian quilting twice. Someday I will finish.

jquilt214 03-13-2012 10:23 AM

there are places that sell designs for you to use. some have alot of different ones. I used too a lot of whole cloth quilts from miniatures to queen size. I had a large table made out of wooden doors with hinges to fold out. I used silver, white, and yellow pencils for marking. You could do a google search of whole cloth quilting and find information. Good luck.

Borntohandquilt 03-13-2012 10:59 AM

I only do whole cloth quilts and have done between 45 and 50 so far in different sizes. Sometimes I use the precut stencils but most times I cut my own cardboard templates. I am always very inspired by traditional whole cloths from North England and Wales and I love to use their classic patterns. From time to time I make my own designs and I also do freehand quilting (and marking).

My favourite marking method is needle marking with a darning needle. That works perfect for me on light and medium colored solids. For very dark fabrics I use watercolor pencils in a color a few shades lighter than the fabric.

Good luck and enjoy your project!