Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Whom uses a small mini iron? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whom-uses-small-mini-iron-t280224.html)

Sunny580 07-07-2016 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by mario1360 (Post 7595487)
I was referring to the Clover Mini Iron as seen here from Amazon:[ATTACH=CONFIG]553480[/ATTACH]

That's the one I have and like it for PP and small squares. The holder is not good so I use the handle of a heavy coffee mug and the mug for seam ripper, etc.

lindaschipper 07-07-2016 03:29 AM

I also have the Clover and use it more than I thought. So many times my large iron messes up another seam I've just pressed. My small iron doesn't do that.

JENNR8R 07-07-2016 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie (Post 7595908)
When I use my clover iron I put it in either a pint mason jar or an old coffee mug. Very easy to use and don't have to worry about if falling off that dinky little holder they provide.

I put my Clover iron in a coffee mug too. It gets really hot, and I like to use it when I'm freezer-paper piecing.

It's also handy to use when I need to iron my binding but don't want to iron the quilt. I don't like to flatten my quilting, and sometimes there is blue marker that would heat set if ironed.

I keep it on my ironing board with my big iron. I only turn it on if I intend to use it, and it heats up quickly.

fivepaws 07-07-2016 05:19 AM

I have the Clover Mini and never use it. It is to easy to burn yourself and boy does that hurt. Ask me how I know.

junegerbracht 07-07-2016 06:35 AM

I have one but rarely use it - was good when I was making doll clothes. I love the Clover Wedge - hesitated to buy it because of the cost - did get it on sale eventually - happy I did and mine gets plenty hot. Try to borrow so you can see what works for you. Happy pressing.

P-BurgKay 07-07-2016 06:42 AM

I have the Clover mini iron, and I love it when I paper piece. I have a wooden stand for it. Let me tell you it gets really hot. You must have a stand for it, or you could easily burn something very bad. I use it all the time in paper piecing.

Peckish 07-07-2016 07:03 AM

I have the clover mini iron and HATE it. I burned myself on it several times before I finally quit using it. I think it's poorly designed - for ME, at least.

I got the Dritz Petite Press and loved it so much, I bought a backup for myself and a couple for friends.

It has 4 heat settings and gets very hot on the highest one. It has an adjustable head, so you can adjust it for your comfort level. It has a sturdy stand. It has an auto shut-off at 60 minutes, which is WAY more generous than most irons.

You can purchase it at Joann's, and the good news is they consider it a "notion" and NOT an "iron", so when they put their "notions" wall on sale, guess what. The discount applies! :D

demonstration

Kitsie 07-07-2016 07:24 AM

I found that, too with the Wedge, and it takes a while to get there. But I did find there is a "sweet" spot in the center of the iron that does get very hot. Still, I'd go for one with steam next time. Glad to have all these comments.

Like many, I gave up using the Clover mini - takes too long to heat up and just not quite big enough.

MarleneC 07-07-2016 08:18 AM

I use mine on applique pieces that have fusible on the back. I've also used it to trim off organdy/organza around fabric paper doll clothes. I place mine in a tall coffee mug when in use and to store it. I have used it to press seams open. It covers small areas that other small irons are too big to use.

mckwilter 07-07-2016 08:35 AM

I agree. I found myself pushing down on it and burning my forefinger on the arm. Better to get a lightweight iron like the travel Rowenta or the Clover.

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7595503)
I have the mini clover one too. I have burnt my fingers too many times using it. Not worth the pain.