Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Whoops!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whoops-t267929.html)

Gail B 07-24-2015 06:48 AM

Whoops!!!

My GGD requested a camo lap quilt so I went on line to fabric.com to order the fabric. Didn't really pay attention to what the search brought up - just assumed that the fabric was the usual used for quilting. NOT! When it arrived I found it is twill weight. Really nice fabric as is the flannel I ordered for the backing. I am really tempted to use it even though it is heavier weight. I am going to appliqué a 30" moose head in the middle of the camo so the front won't be cuddly anyway but the back with the flannel will be. Would you suggest I use it or order more suitable fabric?

bearisgray 07-24-2015 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Gail B (Post 7266268)
My GGD requested a camo lap quilt so I went on line to fabric.com to order the fabric. Didn't really pay attention to what the search brought up - just assumed that the fabric was the usual used for quilting. NOT! When it arrived I found it is twill weight. Really nice fabric as is the flannel I ordered for the backing. I am really tempted to use it even though it is heavier weight. I am going to appliqué a 30" moose head in the middle of the camo so the front won't be cuddly anyway but the back with the flannel will be. Would you suggest I use it or order more suitable fabric?

It would work out fine~

Our idea of "suitable quilting cotton" has been sooooooooooo limiting!

Way back when - men's suit material was used a lot in quilts! that is definitely heavier than our "quilting cotton!

So are the jean rag quilts.

quiltsRfun 07-24-2015 07:18 AM

My grandma made a quilt out of old coats. It weighs a ton but is very warm.

PaperPrincess 07-24-2015 07:35 AM

Just make sure that all the fabrics used can be washed together. Other than that, you should be fine. Folks make quilts out of recycled jeans all the time.

Jeanne S 07-24-2015 08:25 AM

It will make a very durable quilt. Making sure it won't be too warm/heavy for its use is the only concern I would have.

Latrinka 07-24-2015 08:37 AM

I'm not familiar with a twill weight, but as long as you can do your applique on it, go for it!

quilts4charity 07-24-2015 08:45 AM

I've made many camo quilts with this, it will be fine!

Judith1005 07-24-2015 09:13 AM

I see you live in Canada, I say go for it. I bet it will be a dream to sew on. Let us know how it goes. Or, what you decide.

meyert 07-24-2015 06:03 PM

If you are not happy with it return it. Fabric.com has great customer service

Barb in Louisiana 07-24-2015 06:21 PM

The only thing I would be careful about is that the flannel is much more likely to shrink than the twill. My experience with twill is that it will soften some after being washed but doesn't shrink hardly at all. It should make a great "really" cold weather quilt.