Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why is a 1/4" seam the standard for Quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-1-4%22-seam-standard-quilting-t42159.html)

dsb38327 04-08-2010 04:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
1. Why is 1/4" seam the standard for Quilting?
2. Does anyone use something wider than the standard 1/4" seam?
3. Does anyone have trouble with their 1/4" seams fraying when the quilt is washed?

I made this California King, put a zipper down the center so I can wash it in two halves. I don't know the name of the fabric because it has been in my stash for some time but it was thick and looked sturdy. My outer edges matched when I was making the seams yet some of the seams frayed it when I washed it on delicate. Could those pieces have been cut on the grain and that would be a reason they frayed? Do you think it would have frayed even with a 1/2" seam?

Before I split it in 1/2 to insert the zipper
[ATTACH=CONFIG]49499[/ATTACH]

The back side before batting and lining
[ATTACH=CONFIG]49500[/ATTACH]

Finished and on the bed ( When I zip it correctly my pattern lines up).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]49501[/ATTACH]

On the bed
[ATTACH=CONFIG]49502[/ATTACH]

Zipper on the lining side.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]49646[/ATTACH]

sharon b 04-08-2010 05:00 PM

Can't answer your questions , but I love you quilt :mrgreen: It looks so warm and cuddly :thumbup: Never thought to add a zipper to split a quilt , do you see the zipper on the backside ?

renee765 04-08-2010 05:01 PM

What a clever idea to put a zipper down the middle of a large quilt to make it easier to handle- ingenious!

I don't know why we use 1/4 " seams on quilts - maybe it has something to do with not having too much 'extra' fabric inside the blocks (all the seam allowances). I was so used to 5/8" with garments that the 1/4 looked miniscule, and as you point out, sure doesn't leave much room for raveling!

TeresaT 04-08-2010 05:12 PM

When I started quilting I used 1/2 inch seams. I didn't have books or patterns or any kind of instructions. When I did get patterns it took me a long time to get used to 1/4 inch seams. I also think the 1/4 inch is for the bulk.

Pam 04-08-2010 05:22 PM

In theory quilt tops are not washed before quilting so ravelling is not an issue. The reason to keep the seam allowances to 1/4" is to reduce bulk.

Deb watkins 04-08-2010 05:27 PM

On some of the pp, especially the really small blocks/pieces, I was taught to use only 1/8 seam. He has developed a special pp ruler that is just fabulous to work with. George Siciliano was the instructor at the PA Mancuso Quilt show in Philly.

Prism99 04-08-2010 05:28 PM

Quilting stabilizes the piecing so seams don't fray. I'm thinking there probably wasn't enough quilting for this particular pattern, as it looks as if there are a lot of individual pieces in every section that were not quilted.

Quilting keeps the seam allowances from rubbing against each other. If you wash a pieced top that has not been quilted, the seam allowances will fray horribly from the cut edges rubbing against fabric.

In this case, I think 1/2" seams would have frayed just as badly. The only difference is that you would have a little more fabric left in the seam allowance.

1/4" seam allowances are traditionally preferred for quilting because they save fabric (less cost), reduce weight, and reduce the bulk that has to be quilted through.

Quilting, aside from keeping the pieced edges from rubbing, also reduces strain on the pieced seams. Seams that have been quilted down to batting and backing are not subjected to as much stress or weight when a quilt is picked up. A wet quilt hung on a clothesline would be an example of water weight stressing seams. Close quilting means that all three layers are bearing the weight of the water fairly evenly. Far-apart quilting means that some of the seams (which are weakest part of the quilt) are not tied to anything that can take some of the stress. The weight of the water can put so much stress on the seam that the fabric fibers start to pull apart.

My 2-cent theory........

Candace 04-08-2010 06:15 PM

I agree with Prism. I'd venture to say there wasn't enough quilting. Sorry, what a bummer:<

Jim's Gem 04-08-2010 06:53 PM

The other thing you may think about is if this is not 100% cotton fabric that may be some of the fraying issue as well.
Some blended fabrics or polyesters may fray much more that cotton quilting fabrics.

Scissor Queen 04-08-2010 07:20 PM

I'm confused. How could you tell if the seams frayed if it was quilted? If it wasn't quilted yet you shouldn't have washed it.