Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why do my needles bend (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-do-my-needles-bend-t267509.html)

crafty-kid 07-12-2015 06:22 PM

I bend mine too....anxiety maybe? Using a new needle...it does it again. I don't mind, my hand gets used to it

ManiacQuilter2 07-13-2015 04:20 AM

I bend needles to when doing my hand-sewing on my hexes.

nanna-up-north 07-13-2015 05:36 AM

I use Roxanne needles, too. I had problems with needles bending and I even broke a few. Rosanne's do seem stronger and there are a lot in that little bottle.

I've also learned to relax my grip a little when hand quilting. It was hard on the needles but also my hands. And, I let the sandwich be pretty loose, not taut. When I first started hand quilting I thought I should have it tighter but not so. Softer, thinner batting helps, too. I use an old floor frame for my hand quilting and thread up a bunch of needles before I start.

roguequilter 07-13-2015 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by gmasandee (Post 7254926)
My first attempt at hand quilting. My needles bend within the first few stitches. I have been using betweens and tried different sizes of Dritz and John James brands. What am I doing wrong? I so want to enjoy this and so far have only been frustrated.

whether i am hand sewing or quilting, regardless of size or length of needle, my needles always bend. for some thīngs i use old needles fr estate sales. they bend. i started w john james gold years ago, didn't care for them. for quilting i use size 11 between. my hands have been arthritic since i was a teen, quilting for 29 yrs, i use stab stitch over seams. years ago i had a friend refer to her needles as home made fish hooks. bent needles, i decided, aren't indicative of improper technique, just part of the fun! :D

gmasandee 07-13-2015 06:02 AM

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice. I do have a little bottle of the Roxannes' around here somewhere. And will get some big eye John James and other needles that were mentioned to try. It is my hexie quilt (my avatar) that I am handquilting. Did not have as much of a problem when I was stitching the hexie's together. Every so often I would change out my needle due to bending. My quilt top is LQS 100% cotton fabric, flannel backing, Quilters Dream Wool batting and embroidery floss, single strand, for the quilting. The needle goes through the sandwich with extreme ease. I am doing big stitches. I will try and loosen my sandwich up some more if possible. Thanks again. Love you guys!!

francie yuhas 07-13-2015 07:55 AM

As said already...you should try the tulip brand...they are made of harder steel,in Japan..and really don't bend. I bend the other brands easily. Sewing through seam allowances will bend needles. If you lap quilt and fold the sandwich onto the needle,that helps also.

NJ Quilter 07-13-2015 09:25 AM

I was not a fan of the John James needles. Have tried several other brands and am happiest with Roxanne's betweens. Occasionally they bend but not often. I use them bent until it starts effecting my stitching.

Genden 07-13-2015 11:35 AM

I am anxious to try the tulip needles. Where do you buy them? I found them in size 10 on Amazon sold in a package of six. I am not used to the small quantity and the price, but if they last a lot longer, it may even out.

gmasandee 07-13-2015 02:36 PM

I would also like to know where to purchase tulip brand quilting needles.

kidhauler1948 07-13-2015 03:11 PM

Same Problem.........

Originally Posted by Latrinka (Post 7255077)
I bend needles too, don't hand quilt, but do a lot of hexies, and I think it's because I hold them soooo tight sometimes, maybe anxiety! LOL!

Latrinka I have the same thing happen to me, just hanging on for dear life.. (by the way love your slogan)