Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why do people make quilts with flannel? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-do-people-make-quilts-flannel-t263774.html)

quiltingcandy 04-08-2015 06:29 PM

I use flannel because it is warm and soft. When I get the flannel home I wash it in warm water and dry it in a medium dryer. (No one I know uses hot water to wash anymore even for baby clothes.) If the flannel doesn't perform well with my washing then I don't use it in a quilt. But I buy good quality flannel and I have seen my quilts 10 years and older still being used. I make quilts to be used - and if they wear out, so be it. I can make more.

Dolphyngyrl 04-08-2015 07:02 PM

quality flannel doesn't pill, it is very soft when it washes though

AngeliaNR 04-08-2015 08:02 PM

I use flannel because I love it--warm and soft and cuddly. I still have a flannel quilt that my great-grandmother made for me nearly fifty years ago.

SherriB 04-08-2015 08:32 PM

I use flannel backing on 99% of the quilts I make. My family loves the soft and cuddly warmth you get with flannel. The few quilts I made with 100% cotton are seldom used. So far, the quilts with flannel backing have held up well to repeated washing and drying with very little pilling.

We have 4 cats in our home and cat fur and lint is a fact of life here. LOL!! I recently made my DGD a quilt with Kona cotton in red. The red cotton picked up more cat fur than the flannel.

Girlfriend 04-08-2015 10:28 PM

Pricing is everything. Well, not everything, but when you need a good deal.

Mitty 04-09-2015 01:08 AM

I made a quilt with a flannel back for my husband because I knew he'd like the softness and extra warmth. As others have mentioned, the quality of the flannel is important. Mine hasn't pilled yet, but I don't wash it often. Lint has not been a problem either.

It was a little harder to work with, because it's more stretchy, or maybe I didn't smooth it out well when I was making my sandwich. When I was quilting it (stitch in the ditch) it would sometimes fold over when crossing another seam line, and I wouldn't realize this until I was done with the seam and then had to redo it. I learned that I had to hold the quilt a little taut while I sewed.

I prefer regular cotton fabric backing for myself. I don't mind flannel shirts, but for some reason I don't like to have flannel sheets/blankets touching me.

ckcowl 04-09-2015 02:30 AM

I've used Lots of flannel, for backings, in tops, for appliques, for raggy quilts, flannel is a favorite! I've not had ( pilling) problems - I use good quality, double sided flannels- not single sided, thin, loosely woven. Flannel is a wonderful, warm cozy quilting cotton!

paoberle 04-09-2015 03:18 AM

None of my cotton quilts are as cuddly and cozy as my flannel quilt. When I am really cold, it is the quilt I look for.

quilterpurpledog 04-09-2015 03:20 AM

A good quality flannel does not do the things you have mentioned-cheap flannel does. I have used flannel on the back of a couple of quilts. I do prewash it twice in hot water before I incorporate it into a quilt because it does shrink more than regular quilting cotton. I used black on one quilt and did not have dye migration either.

sewbizgirl 04-09-2015 04:17 AM

Sounds like what most of you are saying is that the better quality flannels are less problematic. There's so much of it being made, I knew it had to be popular.