Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why do people (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-do-people-t125579.html)

harvsstuff 05-25-2011 04:07 AM

inquire if you will make them something that you have showed in the picture section, I give them a price and then they disappear off the radar. At least have the decency to get back to me (or you) and say why they have changed their mine. The price I gave was extremely reasonable and included shipping. I honestly believe some people thing what they want to buy should be cheap but if they were selling it, it should cost a lot more.

wolfkitty 05-25-2011 04:09 AM

You're right about that. I'm so sorry, Denise!

Raggiemom 05-25-2011 04:11 AM

I know what you mean. I've had a couple people enquire about me making quilts for them. Once I give the price, they don't respond. At least tell me you don't want to pay that price. I'm sorry you're experiencing this too.

sueisallaboutquilts 05-25-2011 04:19 AM

Hi Denise, I'm also sorry this is happening to you. So far I've only made quilts for family and ONLY for the ones I know will appreciate them. This is probably just me but I have no desire to make quilts for hire.

Tartan 05-25-2011 04:25 AM

I've found manners are just not taught like they used to be. Sign of the times I guess and I try not to let it get to me. Most people are used to Walmart pricing and don't realize the cost of sewing these days and of course, they expect you to throw the labor in for free.

SuzyQ 05-25-2011 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by harvsstuff
I honestly believe some people thing what they want to buy should be cheap but if they were selling it, it should cost a lot more.

I think that pretty much covers it ... along with poor manners. Just an "okay thanks but that's more than I can afford" is all that's needed. Truly if it is someone on this board they should have some idea how much time and effort and expense goes into a project.

Susan

PaperPrincess 05-25-2011 04:54 AM

I agree. An almost worse scenario is when they don't respond for 3 months, then come back and say OK, but they need it in a week.

Midwestmary 05-25-2011 04:54 AM

[quote=Tartan]I've found manners are just not taught like they used to be. Sign of the times I guess and I try not to let it get to me. Most people are used to Walmart pricing and don't realize the cost of sewing these days and of course, they expect you to throw the labor in for free.[/quoteI

Well said. Common courtesy is not what it used to be.

lbaillie 05-25-2011 05:15 AM

AMEN

Shelbie 05-25-2011 05:23 AM

This is why I too will not stitch for anybody. I make what I like and share it with those that I think will enjoy it. There is no way that I could ever satisfy some of these customers and they wouldn't want to pay even the cost of the fabric let alone my time. I will hem pants or replace zippers and complete simple repairs for my cousin but she is the one who has kept my children over the years for days at a time so I will hem and repair her scrubs forever!