Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why do so many people buy so many fat quarters? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-do-so-many-people-buy-so-many-fat-quarters-t108269.html)

wildyard 03-18-2011 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't really buy FQs unless at a yard sale or something like that. What I do is make my own when I deconstruct clothing, linens, etc. from the thrift store, yard sales and such. By folding those sizes of fabrics into FQ shapes and storing them together, I have the convenience of FQs without the extra expense of buying them precut. Here is a photo of my mostly homemade FQ's.

I store them in a rotating CD cabinet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]171678[/ATTACH]

llcathey 03-18-2011 07:01 PM

Jamie there a 18 by 22 piece of fabric that can be used for scrappy quilts,applique lots of things,,,,,

Marysewfun 03-18-2011 07:06 PM

Wildyard - what a neat idea, I like that.

I have only bought 1 FQ so far (to see what it was about - I am new to quilting) - and like someone else here said, I find myself "saving" it for ---. Need to research some FQ patterns for ideas and I am dabbling in applique and paper piecing where it seems like they would probably be good.

QUESTION: Has anyone ever refused to cut/sell you less than a yard of fabric at a time? The back of my mind is reminding me it seems like I saw a "minimum of 1 yard cuts" somewhere.

Marysewfun

llcathey 03-18-2011 07:14 PM

some online stores with sales going on will say no less than a yd, but quilt stores, joann's that Iv gone to Iv gotten 1/8 of yd without any problem, just needed a little to finish up a project

B Jane 03-18-2011 07:31 PM

I buy FQs for applique - and just because I like looking at them on my shelf!

glenda5253 03-18-2011 08:06 PM

I don't buy FQs. I just can't justify paying that much more than fabric per yard.

glenda5253 03-18-2011 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard
I don't really buy FQs unless at a yard sale or something like that. What I do is make my own when I deconstruct clothing, linens, etc. from the thrift store, yard sales and such. By folding those sizes of fabrics into FQ shapes and storing them together, I have the convenience of FQs without the extra expense of buying them precut. Here is a photo of my mostly homemade FQ's.

Linda, I love your repurposing idea! That is something I am going to look for at yard sales and thrift stores.

grammysharon 03-18-2011 10:23 PM

I have quit buying fat quarters unless I need them for applique :-D

ljorange 03-18-2011 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
My stash consists mostly of fat quarters. I like scrappy quilts and that is how I quilt. Even the quilt behind my little girls has multiple different oranges, greens and even different whites. I like the feel of quilts that are not perfect matchy match and fat quarters force you to do that.

Your quilts are unbelievably beautiful!

JanieH 03-19-2011 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by glenda5253

Originally Posted by wildyard

Linda, I love your repurposing idea! That is something I am going to look for at yard sales and thrift stores.

I love your repurposing idea also. I am downsizing my dvd and cd collection and have a similar cabinet that is about 5 feet tall. Already thinking how "pretty" it will look with fabric on its shelves!