Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why Do You Have More Than One Machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-do-you-have-more-than-one-machine-t211343.html)

EllieGirl 01-18-2013 04:52 PM

Why Do You Have More Than One Machine?

I've seen many posts about people saying they have several machines. I have a sewing/embroidery combination and that's my only one. What do you do with the different machines?

quiltingme 01-18-2013 04:54 PM

I have a big Brother and a little Brother. I use them for different sized projects, and the little one I also take to classes at the LQS.

dakotamaid 01-18-2013 04:58 PM

Just cause I love the machines. I like collecting them, some I sew with, some I just have! LOL!

nygal 01-18-2013 04:59 PM

I have four machines. Three are Brothers. The first one is my every day sewing machine and still is my favorite. My second is an embroidery machine, third is a new brother 1500 that I bought for machine quilting ..but haven't used it very much yet. Then I recently bought a Vintage Singer 99 which I also LOVE. In all honesty ...I have enough machines.

RedGarnet222 01-18-2013 05:04 PM

I suppose I have two bernina's because I got a great deal on the second one. It has worked out great by the way. No down time while one is at the shop for servicing and cleaning. Also I can put one onto the quilting table and take a break to sew something else at the same time. They are different in the way they work. One is a touchscreen (190 with upgrade and embroidery module) and the other is operated with the buttons on the machine and when it's hooked to the computer, operated by the computer. (440QE with the embroidery module and the stitch regulator). I would have my old original bernina 830 too, but hubby wanted me to gift it to my sis.

Oh and I bought a machine to teach my 8 year old neice how to sew this last christmas. A janome mini. And I inherited my mother's singer with a roll top case in the garage. See? It just happens. That also doesn't mention the janome serger which you can sew knits with and finish edges. Amoung other things.

himnherr 01-18-2013 05:07 PM

I have 1 for my house and 1 for my camper. The only other one I want is the 3/4 size singer I grew up with. I won't get that till my mom is no longer with us & trust me, I'd much rather never get the machine!:-) I'm sure I could get into collecting machines but since I don't have the room I just don't give in to it.:-)

DogHouseMom 01-18-2013 05:08 PM

I had an old (1983) basic Sears Kenmore that I was using to construct garments. My husband proposed buying me a new machine for my birthday and I chose a machine for garment making (a Huskvarna Lily 535 - a great machine). After that I started quilting and I wanted different features that the Lily didn't have - specifically needle up/down and a larger harp. So I got a Janome 6600. Then I got a vintage Singer 66, then a vintage Singer 115 ... and Sunday I'm picking up the new member of the herd!!

So ... 6 machines!

I won't give up my Husky ... I like that machine too much. I'd be willing to part with the Kenmore. The vintage machines will of course remain.

quilter2090 01-18-2013 05:09 PM

I have 10 sewing machines. 3 serger's, my mom's treadle, the first sewing machine I ever had, given to me from my parents. Some mechanical, several computerized. As I continue on my sewing and quilting journey, I have different sewing machines for different jobs that need to be done. I have however decided that I really don't need anymore.

ktbb 01-18-2013 05:13 PM

and one more

I have 7 - three vintage which are not used much, one older elna given to me which is going to be given to the next deserving person I meet, a mid=arm high speed which I use a lot - straight stitch and quilting only, one older Elna which was my primary till I got the high speed, and a small Janome which I take on travel and to classes. I love the old machines which is why I still look for good ones to buy....and also purchase machines to pass along to others as a way to encourage them in their sewing and quilting. I also have a serger.

asimplelife 01-18-2013 05:19 PM

I just added my second this week, and was surprised too when I read about the # of machines that some of us have.

My 10+ y/old Pfaff has a teeny throat and I was having a really hard time quilting anything larger than 45". My Juki 2010Q will be used for quilting and bulky work like sewing binding. I love the IDT on my Pfaff for piecing, but also love the thread cutter & knee lift feature on the Juki so am kind of in between with piecing right now. The Pfaff is more accurate & the Juki more convenient!

I'm also going to be buying a Juki F600 in the next week or so because I want a free arm for clothing and now that I'm getting into machine applique I need a nice blanket stitch. The deco stitches on my Pfaff aren't very pretty! And, it has the thread cutter and knee lift that I love on the 2010Q so I think it might become my piecing machine as it has a box feed that it supposed to be really good.

So, I'm joining the multi-machine club in a hurry! Then I'll be set for another 10 or so years... I like having a backup machines since I have no local dealers. I've been really lucky with my Pfaff that has required no service at all.