Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why do you like your machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-do-you-like-your-machine-t115917.html)

g-maquilts 04-14-2011 03:31 PM

I have an old, old, Bernina 830. I bought it new, about 25 years ago. It has never once jammed or knotted up the thread. It has gone through 3 foot pedals. I used to sew curtains, etc. professionally. I have had it cleaned once a year every year and that is all the maintenance it has had. Last year I traded my Bernina 135 in on a new 730. It too is wonderful. Harder to get used to because it too does so much. But I really love my Berninas.

kidhauler1948 04-14-2011 03:40 PM

I have a 57year old Singer sewing machine Model 319W. My mother used it to sew professionally for many many years, what a work horse, all it wants is occasional cleaning and oiling.

madamekelly 04-14-2011 03:42 PM

Here i am sounding like a broken record- I love my old Brother (Penny), and am in love with my new Brother (Pearl). The only machine I have ever used, that I liked better, was the industrial 'White' machine that had it's own cabinet. (back in caveman days.) :P

MarV 04-14-2011 03:46 PM

I have 2 machines. A Pfaff 2134, which I use daily for piecing and embroidery, and a Babylock Pro quilter that I use for FMQ on a frame. Each was chosen for a specific use.

teacherbailey 04-14-2011 04:12 PM

I LOVE my 1941 Singer. It's a black cast-iron model and was born before bells and whistles were ever thought of... it straight stitches, period. My two newer machines (a Singer and a Brother) have annoying problems when I use them and it seems like I'm always having to adjust something or start a seam over because of a problem, etc. But not with the old Singer! If something goes wrong with her, I rethread and put the bobbin back in, since I messed it up somewhere. Her only problem is that she won't make bobbins any more....which started the month that Side Winders came out. End of problem!

Ruby the Quilter 04-14-2011 04:26 PM

I have a Janome 11000 SE and love it. Easy to use great stitching - and a variety of stitches.

Ruby The Quilter

Eliebelle 04-14-2011 04:30 PM

I have a Viking Emerald 203 - nothing fancy but sews like a dream! Every time I go to a quilting class, most of the students drag their VERY expensive sewing/embroidery machines and cases of accessories. I plug mine in and I'm ready to go - I would buy this one again and again and again.....

Gramily 04-14-2011 04:55 PM

I love everything about my Baby Lock ELLISIMO. I owned 4 different Berninas. The BL is my favorite. She purrs.

Gramily 04-14-2011 04:55 PM

I love everything about my Baby Lock ELLISIMO. I owned 4 different Berninas. The BL is my favorite. She purrs.

audsgirl 04-14-2011 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by JCL in FL
I have a Viking machine and I paid a lot for it and I don't like it. What machine do you have and why do you like it? Would you buy it again?

I have a Viking that I replaced with a Bernina 153. The Viking didn't have a needle down function and the blanket stitch had a zig-zag between bites instead of a straight line. But I loved everything else about it. The Bernina jams, is a bear to thread, and I have to oil it! So, I'm not sure if I would buy it again.