Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why is everyone buying the old sewing machines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-everyone-buying-old-sewing-machines-t105324.html)

Limey 03-07-2011 05:32 AM

I bought my 1972 Featherweight in 1973, not knowing anything about it.It has its original box, book, and tools. It cost $46. It has suffered the curiosity of two kids and is still my back up machine.I got ripped off by a repair guy once, I think because he knew how much they have sold for. It is the one I hope to carry to DIL's so that I can work on clothes for DGD. I agree about the importance of machine weight when working on completed tops or heavy drapes. I bought a Kenmore for that reason but it's straight stitch is not half as nice.

LindaR 03-07-2011 05:35 AM

preserving history I quess...I love mine and you won't find a better straight stitch on any new plastic machine.

supergma 03-07-2011 05:45 AM

Two reasons. Straight stitching and love of old things.

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 03-07-2011 05:48 AM

Yes, I'd love to find a featherweight but I do have one of the turqouise Singer machines from the late 60's and also a treadle that I never use. Think I'll oil and polish these up and try them out.

Nona 03-07-2011 05:49 AM

Many of us buy old machines because they are tried and true performers. The featherweights are in a special class since they also don't weigh much and are easy to transport to class or when you are traveling. I have two newer machines a Viking Mega Quilter and a Pfaff 2040, but I will sew on one of my older machines most of the time. All of my old machines are between 30 and 50 years old. They are solid and durable. I usually clean them myself and I can adjust just about anything on them. Now think about the new great plastic machines. The going cost is about $100 to have them cleaned and you better not miss a year. Many of the newer machines have plastic parts that won't last 30 years much less 50 years even if you can get parts. The older "metal" machines by in large you can still get parts for...somethimes older is just better or maybe because I am getting older they don't seem so old.

akrogirl 03-07-2011 05:52 AM

Some of the vintage machines are almost more like pieces of art. I love the shape and quality of the finish on some of the old machines. The older Singers and Necchis tend to be particular favorites of mine.

I even found a vintage Singer, industrial buttonholer for sale very cheaply on our local Craigslist yesterday that promptly found its way to a new home ;-) I am so excited to see what it will look like with a litle TLC. No, I may never use it for its intended purpose, but the technology behind it is absolutely fascinating to me.

katlady 03-07-2011 05:55 AM

Because they are not plastic, all metal & made with precision & make wonderful stitches & if taken care of they will last forever.

tomilu 03-07-2011 06:01 AM

You can't beat the oldies for stitch quality and reliability. They just keep on sewing forever if you just do routine maintenance, which is very easy.
I love my featherweight for classes, portability is a big plus for these little jems.
I took classes from Ray White and learned to love working on the oldies. Now my DH and I find them as reasonably as we can (sometimes for free), fix them up and give them to women who can't afford to buy a machine. It has become a ministry for us and keeps us off the streets - which in your 70s is a good thing, lol. Right now we have 2 old Kenmores we are just about ready to find a home to keep them sewing.
And the old treadles - what fun it is !!!!

Roberta 03-07-2011 06:03 AM

If you are close enough to anyone who owns a Featherweight ask if you can sew a few pieces on it. You'll then understand why some of us love them. They are tough little work horses and sew over the thickest seams.

HisPatchwork 03-07-2011 06:20 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I don't own a featherweight, but I do own and use my vintage machines which are all in treadles for piecing and quilting.
Why own a vintage machine because:
they are easy to care for and clean
can be purchased for under $50
they make beautiful stitches
they are designed for heavy use, to sew through thick fabrics like denim
true horse horses
they have a large harp space which makes it easier to quilt a large quilt they have beautiful decals and motifs
their cabinets are gorgeous, a piece of wood art
treadle irons are a piece of mechanical art
all metal, no plastics
And they never die- their previous owner may be long gone, but these machines just keep on living.

Well said! I don't have a FW yet, but am looking for one to follow me home. I got my 1919 Singer treadle for $20 and a portable hand crank Serata given to me by a friend when she saw my interest in vintage machines. I love the way they sew! Beautiful straight stitches. They are out there at good prices, so I will wait. After using the hand crank, I'm not in any hurry...I will probably take it to my quilt group. I think they are just beautiful. They were made to last, not to be replaced.

Serata hand crank
[ATTACH=CONFIG]119568[/ATTACH]

1919 Singer treadle cleaned and oiled
[ATTACH=CONFIG]119570[/ATTACH]

Section of the iron stand cleaned up only...not repainted, just cleaned up. You couldn't tell it had gold paint on it before cleaning.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]119571[/ATTACH]