Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why Fabric is going up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-fabric-going-up-t86260.html)

Deborah12687 12-30-2010 01:03 PM

I did a lot of reseaching today on why fabric prices are going up. The biggest thing is the dollar is week right now and doesn't have the buying power that it had last year. It is not just the cotton raising the prices. The loss of some of the manufactures in the United states closing there doors and relying on foreign manufactures. I just look at it as a glut pricing on the market forcing prices up and who knows what is going to come of it. The saying is what comes up must come down. Consumers like us are the ones who get stuck in the pocket book. Some how some way things need to balance out. If you want to search it out just put in cotton prices going up in a search....you will get a lot of info.

ann clare 12-30-2010 01:06 PM

Thanks for sharing.

Quiltzilla 12-30-2010 01:09 PM

There are times that the nightly news will have three stories about things going up in price, e.g. gasoline, coffee and gold. The truth is that there is only one story; the dollar fell in value.

Treasureit 12-30-2010 01:11 PM

"The saying is what comes up must come down." Doesn't seem to work that way very often!

:thumbup: :thumbdown:

craftybear 12-30-2010 01:17 PM

thanks for the information

patricej 12-30-2010 01:25 PM

there is only one reason the price of fabric keeps going up.

people keep right on paying the higher prices.

lllog 12-30-2010 02:08 PM

There are a lot of forces causing Cotton fabric to go up. The floods in Asia took out a lot of cotton crops, the cost of transpertation to get it here, and I'm sure that the falling dollar dosen't help.

Cotton not only affects fabric, unless you're using polyester, your batting will be more expensive as well.

As far as what goes up will come down, not likely to any extent, at least for a year or two.

The truth is fabric is going to cost stores like mine more to buy in the new year, and if we want to stay in business, we have to raise prices as well. Hopefully we can minimize the added expense. The more you continue to shop the LQS, the better chance we have of doing that. If quilters stop visiting LQS's they will either have to raise prices or go out of business.

Lanny

Shari1967 12-30-2010 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Treasureit
"The saying is what comes up must come down." Doesn't seem to work that way very often!

:thumbup: :thumbdown:

Sure wish that'd happen with gas prices! We're up to $3 a gallon here and recent reports say by 2012 it's gonna be $5 gallon. I sure hope "they" are wrong about that :shock:

cmagee84 12-30-2010 02:14 PM

Basic economics...Supply and demand

The Creative Seamstress 12-30-2010 02:17 PM

LOL, the price of fabric has always been "up" in my house. My husband doesn't understand why us Quilters are sooooo addicted to our fabric. Luckily i've been finding treasure hunt finds at our second hand thrift stores which have caused my stocks to grow rather significantly, so I've been lucky to not have to buy very much from the craft/fabrics stores recently.

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
- The Creative Seamstress