Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   And this is why I hate following a pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-i-hate-following-pattern-t274917.html)

MarionsQuilts 01-24-2016 08:31 AM

And this is why I hate following a pattern

2 Attachment(s)
I decided to try the "storms at sea" quilt. Found a template online, printed it and cut out All my fabric, sewed the first block together using a scant 1/4 inch seam and came out with this (notice the fabric in the middle row does NOT line up with the end of the grey fabric)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540984[/ATTACH]

To say I was ticked is putting it mildly.

So, knowing the problem is the white fabric around the blue diamonds, I cut out bigger weird triangles and ended up with this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540985[/ATTACH]

This looks much better except I realized that the grey fabric around the white squares cuts off the tips of the squares. So now I know that the grey triangles are too small as well.

And the measurements are annoying - 2 5/8 of an inch ... next time I decide to follow a pattern, I'm just going to round everything up and trim afterwards ...

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm starting all over again - at least I have lots of fabric left.

ManiacQuilter2 01-24-2016 08:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have done this pattern before. The edge of the blocks should have been 1/4" from the points. It wasn't my favorite pattern either and took me over 10 years to at least piece the top. Still waiting for the borders to be attached.

Tiggersmom 01-24-2016 08:51 AM

Bummer!!!
I never do the 5/8 thing.... I always round up then trim as I'm more accurate that way.
Save your pieces and trim them to 1/2s or whole numbers.....you will use them eventually, maybe in Potholders.

Onebyone 01-24-2016 08:58 AM

Looking at both your pictures, your seams are not matching up. I would be sure it wasn't my piecing before re cutting all the pieces.

MarionsQuilts 01-24-2016 09:00 AM

Onebyone - nothing matches up! That's why I am starting from scratch!

ctyankee 01-24-2016 09:10 AM

This is one of my favorite patterns -- although it is still on my Bucket List. But I get your frustration. Some things are just not meant to be finished!

ctyankee 01-24-2016 09:11 AM

ManiacQuilter2 -- your quilt is scrumptious!

Jeanne S 01-24-2016 09:16 AM

How frustrating! But I would sure save the pieces and try to work parts of them into other scrappy quilts or quilt backs. For example your large blue diamond rectangle pieces or smaller white/gray diamond squares separately would make a great border end to end, and a row of the center blocks across the backing would look great. All is not lost!

mic-pa 01-24-2016 09:19 AM

I learned a long time ago to cut only one block out to see if and how the pattern goes together. Saved myself a lot of frustration plus a lot of fabric. Just a thought.

jillmc 01-24-2016 09:49 AM

I try to make a block out of scraps first when following a pattern. But it's not always possible to construct all of the units to test....I am so sorry your pattern was not a good one. Your fabrics are very pretty, so I hope you work through this and show us the completed quilt! It's on my bucket list....