Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why is my batting being pulled to the top? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-my-batting-being-pulled-top-t215603.html)

mer584 03-05-2013 08:03 PM

Why is my batting being pulled to the top?

When I free motion quilt I'm noticing that a fair amount of batting fibers are being pulled to the top of my quilt.

This was very apparent when I had warm and natural batting with black fabric on the top. Even though I was using black thread there was still a lot of little white fuzz that was visible on my quilt top. I tried using a lint roller to remove it but found that I wasnt able to because some of the fibers had only been partially pulled up. (versus pulled all the way through)........so this left my quilt top looking like the cat had sat on it.

Why is this happening does anyone know? Maybe it's something simple like i just need to change the needle?

Pat625 03-05-2013 08:05 PM

I have found this happens when I hand quilt if the thread count is low in the fabrics...Seems the needle pulls through the threads..I also have found that the cheaper poly battings do this more than others..

auntpiggylpn 03-05-2013 08:12 PM

Make sure you are using a good sharp needle. I've had this issue when just doing straight line quilting. Changed my needle and it fixed the problem!

Jan in VA 03-05-2013 08:15 PM

This is called "bearding" and can be caused by any of several issues.
1. The thread is waxed or has a finish that attracts the fibers of the batting. "Glazed" cotton hand quilting threads are particularly guilty of this, but other threads do it too.
2. Polyester battings have done this frequently in the past; as I have not used polyester for many years, it's possible I don't know if this issue has changed. Yet, I've had cottons and even wool beard if...
3. I have used a larger needle than necessary for the threads. As I have arthritis in my hands, I frequently use a larger needle so I have better control. But this makes a hole just big enough for those batting fibers to migrate through the top or backing.

There may be other reasons, washing or not washing a top or batting may affect bearding, but the above ones are those that I've noticed over the years.

Jan in VA

mer584 03-05-2013 08:47 PM

hm. lots of options to think about. i guess i will try changing the needle first. the fabric is probably cheap too which is a problem i didnt consider. I thought warm and natural was a pretty good batting?

PaperPrincess 03-06-2013 05:57 AM

Don't know how to explain this exactly, but I was told that cotton batting, such as w&n, contains tiny bits of cotton that are less processed so are tiny bit thicker(denser?). If you use a needle that is too large or dull, these can catch, so they pop thru. SOme of this disappears when you wash the quilt.

mary quilting 03-06-2013 07:38 AM

with black fabric I always us black batting.

EasyPeezy 03-06-2013 08:11 AM

Did you take into consideration that there is a right side and a wrong side to W&N batting?

kat13 03-06-2013 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy (Post 5908796)
Did you take into consideration that there is a right side and a wrong side to W&N batting?

I love this batting and I never knew that!! When I had bearding issues I changed the needle and all was good...I just looked at a piece and both sides look exactly the same to me...how do y ou tell front from back?

EasyPeezy 03-06-2013 10:17 AM

The side that has the flecks should be on top. Just think you want the smooth side to
be next to your skin...so smooth side on the bottom.