Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why are my stitches like this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-my-stitches-like-t260281.html)

KenmoreGal2 01-25-2015 01:01 PM

Why are my stitches like this?

2 Attachment(s)
I am using my avatar, a 1958 Kenmore made by Gritzner-Kayser. My top stitches look fairly good. Here's a photo.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]507633[/ATTACH]

However my bottom stitches are a mess.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]507634[/ATTACH]

I am sewing fairly lightweight fabric. I am using a size 11 needle. This is a new one, just put in. It replaced a brand new Organ needle, same size. That one kept breaking thread. This one does not break thread. (I am using polyester thread.) I can't figure what to do because it doesn't look like a tension problem, at least not the ones I see pictured on the web. I started with a size 12 needle, I've used 5 needles getting to this one. Same problem with all of them. Could I have a bunch of bad needles? Could it be something else?

Thanks!!

ManiacQuilter2 01-25-2015 01:02 PM

I think the bobbin tension might be too loose??? When have you last had it serviced???

maryb119 01-25-2015 01:03 PM

Looks like your bottom tension is too loose. Adjust the screw on the bobbin casing a little at a time until it's right.

Vitality 01-25-2015 01:04 PM

I would try a different bobbin, re inserting bobbin and/or cleaning bobbin case and area. It looks like your bobbin thread is way too loose…

charlottequilts 01-25-2015 01:04 PM

Have you worked with the bobbin and upper tensions?

Charlotte

KenmoreGal2 01-25-2015 01:09 PM

I'll definitely go and check my bobbin tension. I'll do that "yo yo" test. I thought a tension problem would be where there is a straight line of thread either on the top or bottom. That's what my manual and the web says. So tension problems cause these funny stitches too?

I don't get my machine serviced. I don't have a OSMG. I try to take care of it myself. I have the service manual but I'm a rank amateur.

KenmoreGal2 01-25-2015 01:24 PM

OK. I checked my bottom tension and it was a little loose so I tightened it. But it had no impact on the stitch quality. Then I went ahead and changed my needle yet again. I used another brand new Organ needle. The bottom stitch quality is very much improved but I'm back to breaking threads. What the heck am I doing wrong????

(thanks.....)

Edited to add - maybe size 11 needle is too small and that's why the threads are breaking? Maybe the issues I had with the size 12's were all bad needles? I'm going to try a brand new size 12 and see how that goes. I'm just grasping for straws here. There are so many web sites to diagnose sewing machine issues but I haven't seen this specific problem.

Barb_MO 01-25-2015 01:43 PM

tighten the bobbin tension a little more and use a size 14 for regular weight cotton fabrics and maybe a 16 for heavier weight fabric. I mostly use a size 14 needle.

QuiltnNan 01-25-2015 02:00 PM

is it possible that there is a thread caught in the bobbin tension slot?

KenmoreGal2 01-25-2015 02:15 PM

I'll try a 14 needle momentarily and check my bobbin area again. I do keep it very very clean, I brush it out with every bobbin change. But it can't hurt to look again. Back soon. Thanks!