Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why not use cotton/poly? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-not-use-cotton-poly-t286999.html)

bkay 03-23-2017 06:05 AM

Why not use cotton/poly?

I bought some gingham fabric at an estate sale. I assumed it to be cotton.

I planned a quilt, bought some trim fabric and washed the all the fabric. When I got it out of the dryer, I saw that most of the gingham is cotton/poly.

Now, I'm debating whether to forget this quilt, replace the gingham or use it anyway.

I know that you aren't "supposed" to use cotton/poly in a quilt. Why not?

bkay

Sewnoma 03-23-2017 06:46 AM

Honestly, I think it's just fine. Lots of people have done it in the past, lots of people do it now, lots of people will do it in the future.

It can wear differently than 100% cotton, so over the years it may become increasingly obvious which squares had the poly blend (they're generally more durable and stays brighter colored), but that's really all I think anybody should need to worry about for a quilt. If you keep the entire quilt consistently a poly blend that solves that issue.

I actually prefer poly blend for pet quilts. It's just that much more durable.

Gail B 03-23-2017 06:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I use gingham when making baby quilts along with quilting cotton & have for over 20 years. It wears very well, actually better than quilting cotton.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]570232[/ATTACH]

Jane Quilter 03-23-2017 06:54 AM

Use what you have and enjoy it. Plan it for a quilt that will be used and loved and washed a lot.

bakermom 03-23-2017 06:59 AM

I put gingham in quilts I made for my kids 35 years ago. It's fine, quilts are still used on their kids beds.
Off topic-Gail, was your quilt a gingham goose pattern? It looks like one I have from way back- I had a humpty dumpty, a rocking horse, mother goose(?) and a bear. I made tons of quilts from them back in the day.

RN-Quilter 03-23-2017 07:04 AM

Great answer Sewnoma! ♥
Bkay, it is YOUR fabric and YOUR quilt .... do and use whatever you want/like. :sew:
Anyone that tells you otherwise, is a fabric snob.
Quilting started out as a make-do ......there were no must-haves or should-haves! Those that follow every man-made rule in quilting stresses themselves about every little detail........and that is just plain wrong!!!:thumbdown: Quilting should be something you WANT to do.............not something you are afraid of doing!
So - all this means is that you don't need nobody's yay or nay ----- enjoy your fabric and your quilting!♥♥♥:thumbup:

thimblebug6000 03-23-2017 07:13 AM

Just be careful when using your iron, you won't want to use a cotton setting on it.

feline fanatic 03-23-2017 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 (Post 7789805)
Just be careful when using your iron, you won't want to use a cotton setting on it.

Agreed, It is very easy to damage it with a hot iron. Personally, I can't stand working with poly blend fabrics. Have no issues with poly batting just can't stand working with poly blend fabrics. In my experience they don't hold a crease well when pressing and they don't behave like cotton which I prefer. Not a fabric snob, just don't like to work with it. Quilting is a past time I enjoy so why make it less enjoyable by working with materials that don't behave the way I want them to.

But that is me. You may find you don't have a problem with working with them.

Fabric Galore 03-23-2017 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter (Post 7789788)
Use what you have and enjoy it. Plan it for a quilt that will be used and loved and washed a lot.

I agree. I have used poly/cotton on many of my projects and they work great.

Eva Knight 03-23-2017 07:37 AM

I've used cotton/poly blends many, many times and so has my Mother and she has been gone over 20 yrs. and her quilts are all fine. When making a quilt or quilting, there is no right or wrong way to do it. We all have our ways to do things. The only wrong way to do it is ," Not doing it at all".