Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why are quilters so excited about fat quarters? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-quilters-so-excited-about-fat-quarters-t287291.html)

mountainwoman 04-04-2017 10:31 AM

Why are quilters so excited about fat quarters?

I use a lot of precuts -layer cakes, charm packs, and my all-time favorite, "Jolly Bars" (5"x10" coordinated fabrics by Moda made exclusively for the Fat Quarter Shop. I use these because cutting, even with the wonderful rotary cutter, is difficult because of arthritis in my hands. I have never bought a "fat quarter" cut, but I've come across a good sale and am considering buying some, but I really don't know what to do with them!

My quilts tend to be a combination of other pre-cuts, e.g., the Jolly Bars or layer cakes with Moda bella solids. It seems to me the only thing I can do with a fat quarter is cut it up. I get it that these would be easier to cut into pieces than in working with yards of fabric, but that seems really expensive and potentially wasteful to me.

So, could someone explain to me why quilters are so excited about fat quarters?

Thanks!

Mitty 04-04-2017 10:41 AM

I don't buy them myself, but I think they're a way of buying a small amount of a fabric in a more usable form than if you bought 1/4 yard from a bolt, since the latter would be only 9 inches wide.

Since so many people buy fat quarters, a lot of people create patterns with them in mind.

Pennyhal 04-04-2017 10:42 AM

There are a lot of books on using fat quarters for quilting on Amazon. I think it offers quilters another choice if they are making something that requires a different sizes than other the other precuts.

NZquilter 04-04-2017 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mitty (Post 7798055)
I don't buy them myself, but I think they're a way of buying a small amount of a fabric in a more usable form than if you bought 1/4 yard from a bolt, since the latter would be only 9 inches wide.

Agree here. I don't buy them myself, but I've been given some before. They work well if you don't need yardage and you can "fit" more pieces in a 22"x18" piece than a 9"x45". I also think most quilters buy them simply for the stash.

PaperPrincess 04-04-2017 10:50 AM

it's a good way to get a variety of fabrics without buying a whole yard. The size, 18X20-ish allows for cuts larger than most precuts, such as 10" layer cakes. As mentioned there are many patterns that use them

Dolphyngyrl 04-04-2017 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by mountainwoman (Post 7798045)
I use a lot of precuts -layer cakes, charm packs, and my all-time favorite, "Jolly Bars" (5"x10" coordinated fabrics by Moda made exclusively for the Fat Quarter Shop. I use these because cutting, even with the wonderful rotary cutter, is difficult because of arthritis in my hands. I have never bought a "fat quarter" cut, but I've come across a good sale and am considering buying some, but I really don't know what to do with them!

My quilts tend to be a combination of other pre-cuts, e.g., the Jolly Bars or layer cakes with Moda bella solids. It seems to me the only thing I can do with a fat quarter is cut it up. I get it that these would be easier to cut into pieces than in working with yards of fabric, but that seems really expensive and potentially wasteful to me.

So, could someone explain to me why quilters are so excited about fat quarters?

Thanks!

I use them in bags pin cushions, applique, pillows, great for small projects also there are numerous quilt patterns just for fat quarters so I is just a preference I prefer jelly rolls and fat quarters to layer cakes and charms by far, more fabric to work with.

QuiltnNan 04-04-2017 10:56 AM

i hadn't bought them in the past, but bought some recently. I wanted to do a black and white quilt and have collected many different fabrics for a reasonable price when they are on sale

popover 04-04-2017 11:00 AM

I don't buy precuts at all. I don't like making quilts with a bunch of different prints to balance out. I tend to use just 2-3 different colors in a pattern, so usually but 2-3 yards of anything.

crafty pat 04-04-2017 11:10 AM

I also have RA in my hands so have to have all the help I can get with cutting. I use the fat quarters when using a block that use several fabrics I need to blend well. That way I don't have to hunt and buy several fabrics and cut down to usable sizes. I keep some to have on hand that may go with other fabrics I am using. Sometimes I cut them down to extend colors in a jelly roll I am using.

tallchick 04-04-2017 11:57 AM

They are the only precut I will buy now; I love them because I love scrappy and I'm able to get an entire line of fabric at a reasonable price and I'm usually able to make more than one quilt from them as well. I now have far too many charm packs, jelly rolls and layer cakes that I'm trying to get through because many are not cut correctly and are exasperating to work with.